NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter GRS 05.01.2014

catman161

With Jupiter nearly at opposition and the skies being clear last night I managed to snek away from SWMBO's birthday do in town and get set up and capture just one useable avi of jupiter last night just as the GRS was starting to come into view. Below image was 3000 frames put through PIPP and with quality estimation and weighting on which resulted in an avi of 4000 frames. I then ran it through AS!2 and stacked 75% of the frames and did wavelets in registax 5.1.

I did try a couple more avis when the GRS was in the middle of the disc but my camera was really playing up. I don't know whether it was the cold (the sensor temp read as -3.3) but it refused to capture at a rate any higher than 1.4fps! So I jacked in after a few restarts which did not change anything and went into the warm.

Scope: 200P Mount: NEQ 6 pro Camera: ZWO ASI120MC Televue Powermate x2

EDIT: I did a re-process without running it through PIPP or AS!2 and doing it entirely in registax 5.1. It only stacked 922 frames but I like that it did not crop out the moon (as it did when I ran it through PIPP as it automatically centres the planet). It's a touch softer but I quite like it so thought I would add it in below :)

11774404605_fa772dee4c_o.png
Jupiter Opposition 2014US by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Registax only process

11780180795_14e58a7de7_o.png
Capture 05_01_2014 00_32_50REgiversionUS by Gattouomo161, on Flickr

Nice shot and processing. Though focal length is quite low.   love the colour and contrast, which low focal length shots seem to bring alive

To be honest with the seeing we are gerting. its probably better to go low. Especially nice for 8" Under good seeing I would try higher FL you might get a lot more out

Thanks Neil. I love your Jupiter images by the way. who could I extend my focal length would a 4x powermate give me better results? I use a 2x powermate at present.

A good idea is try a tube extension put the barlow in the focuser. Then some extra tube length, and then the camera. Hey presto larger image. Its hard to say sometimes what barlow to try. I would suggest maybe a 3 x with tubes so you can go up more. But a 4x might work. Especially under calmer air. its a shame we cant try equipment before buying it. Always useful to have a variation of powers so both 3 and 4 x would be handy. but funds being tight. I would get a 3x and some kind tube extension. so I could vary the powers.

That's a great couple of images, well done. :smiley:

PIPP is a great programme and is very versatile - basically when you click 'planetary' it automatically ticks all the options that are best for planetary imaging including on the 'Processing Options' tab it ticks 'Enable Cropping' and sets it to 450x450. As you have a moon off to the left that you want to include you can either adjust the crop area to say 600x450 click test and you will find the Moon will now be there. Alternatively you can leave the size as 450x450 and move the planet further over to the right by using X and Y offset  in the cropping section - a negative value will move the cropped area to the left and a positive value will move it to the right. For a more detailed explanation check out the PIPP website 'Example 2 - Cropping with offsets' here's a link, that way you can process as normal using PIPP and AS!2 but still keep the moon in the final image as well.  :smiley:

HTH

Steve

That's a great couple of images, well done. :smiley:

PIPP is a great programme and is very versatile - basically when you click 'planetary' it automatically ticks all the options that are best for planetary imaging including on the 'Processing Options' tab it ticks 'Enable Cropping' and sets it to 450x450. As you have a moon off to the left that you want to include you can either adjust the crop area to say 600x450 click test and you will find the Moon will now be there. Alternatively you can leave the size as 450x450 and move the planet further over to the right by using X and Y offset in the cropping section - a negative value will move the cropped area to the left and a positive value will move it to the right. For a more detailed explanation check out the PIPP website 'Example 2 - Cropping with offsets' here's a link, that way you can process as normal using PIPP and AS!2 but still keep the moon in the final image as well. :smiley:

HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve that is really helpful I didn't know that, cheers :)

Great images - plenty of detail in there without them appearing overly sharpened - very nice, though image 1 takes the biscuit!

Thanks for the compliments, it's very encouraging. I can't wait to get out again :)

Archived