NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decent night at last! 4/1/2014

Moonshane

Despite the usual pattern of relatively clear/dry in the day and cloudy/windy/wet at night appearing to continue and the forecast changing constantly (I am sure that forecasters just do what I do - i.e. stick my oaut of the door and say what they can see) I put the scope out last night just after dark as it finally looked like it was going to stay clear and on a night around new moon too!

I was mainly aiming at some fainter objects and therefore out out the 12" f4 as it's easier and quicker to drag back in the house if it rains. As it happened it did rain lightly, quite briefly but I left the scope out, albeit horizontal, as it looked like it would pass quickly; thankfully it did just that.

Starting with Jupiter I got a good idea of what the seeing was like and it seemed to be relatively good. More on Jupiter later as I left it for later when there was a GRS transit.

As the scope cooled, I had a brief tour of the usual suspects like the double cluster, M45, M42 and M43 and M1. All were great to see as usual and the ease with which I located M1 suggested it might be a decent night.

I then started working my way around a couple of planetary nebulae and some of the open clusters in Gemini that I have not seen previously. First was the bi-lobed NGC 2371/2 which showed very well at about 120x. Then down to NGC 2392 the Eskimo Nebula which is a lovely blue-ish puff of cloud, expensing with averted vision. My last PN target was the Medusa Nebula PK 205+14.1 but I could not see hide nior hair of this object; one for darker skies and the 16" scope I think.

Next onto open clusters with NGCs 2395 and 2355 being located as I worked my way down towards Monoceros where the majority of my targets lay. Although I could not see the Cone Nebula itself, the associated cluster NGC 2264 was quite obvious. Other clusters seen in this area were NGCs 2251, 2254 and Collinder clusters 111, 97, and 106. Finally, I located NGC 2244 which is at the centre of the Rosette Nebula. This nebula was visible with the Oiii filter but really quite large and faint. It was more obvious by the background stars it seemed to block than anything else. 

I remembered Hubbles Variable Nebula NGC 2261 whic with the lack of moon showed superbly well and strongly resembled a comet as previously.

Back to Gemini I had a look at Messier 35 and associated NGC 2158. These two objects really make for a stunning pair in the eyepiece with so many stars peppering the background. The constellation of Cancer was now high enough for me to see Messiers 44 and 67.

Feeling quite happy I then thought that I'd have a go for the Horsehead and Californmia Nebula with my Hb filter. I could not detect anything in terms of the Horsehead (or even the Flame Nebula) but did think I had hints of the California Nebula; I'll be returning to this soon.

Leo was getting higher now and just before the clouds rolled in for the first time, I managed to locate and sketch two new NGC galaxies 3190 and 3193 which sit close together between Algieba and Adhafera.

I finished the night with a good look at Jupiter as the GRS was now about a third of the way across. The views at close to zenith were quite superb. Possibly the best views I have ever had but certainly close if not. Even at 268x, the view was reasonably stable and with seeing kicking in occasionally for lengthy periods revealing excellent detail within the GRS itself and the two pain bands in particular. The GRS was particularly pink and the area around it was very disrupted with swirls and areas of excellent contrast. 

The clouds eventually rolled in at about 2am and as the forecasters had looked out their window and spotted the same cloud, and the forecast had changed from clear from 1am to cloudy from 2am I called it a night.

Really excellent to be out again and with my astro addiction satisfied for now. I hope others managed a decent night too.

Good report Shane, it has been a real battle snatching opportunities to get out recently. I recall you referring to Hubbles Variable on a previous thread, somehow I missed locating this one when I was last out observing, look forward to trying again. 

Glad you had a good night Shane.

I haven't had a really good night for ages, what with the run of weather we've had recently and other commitments which always seem to crop up when the clouds clear its been very hard trying to get to my dark sites so I'm going to make more of an effort observing the planets and moon from home.

I'm dying for a night like that..well done mate...sooner we get a night out the better.

Glad you had a good night Shane.

I haven't had a really good night for ages, what with the run of weather we've had recently and other commitments which always seem to crop up when the clouds clear its been very hard trying to get to my dark sites so I'm going to make more of an effort observing the planets and moon from home.

same here mate,sometimes you just gotta wait!

Too true;  it's great when the clouds peel away to reveal that magic up there in the sky.  Cloudy nights are for resting, researching, and other hobbies...........all of which are important.  But there's nothing like a good obs session like the one you've had Moonshane!  Nice you got a hint of the California Nebula;  I can't make this one out yet and need get to the dark for that to happen.  I would think this would be a good bins target at a dark location due to the size.  Would you agree with that or does it require a telescope to pick it up?

Archived