NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Im sure its a familiar plea... Ive narrowed my selection to 3 (ish)

OK Ive had an uncooperative cheap wooden legged wobbly telescope for many years, only returning to try again by the occasional glimpse of the moon, Ive tapdanced around buying a cooperative consistent metal legged telescope and this weekend the descision will be made...

help?

OK after many hours of eyeball hurting internet scouring, often ending up looking at the same reviews Ive decided on either

a: 

Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

or

b: 

Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P (AZ) SynScan GO-TO Parabolic Newtonian Reflector Telescope

or

c:

Celestron NexStar 4SE

as you can see Im torn between size and technology, Logically I understand that for many years people didnt have goto mounts and I reckon I could learn my way round the sky but feel concerned after so long struggling to get any progress and am tempted to the "plug and play" side of things, but do empathise with an opinion I read where it said that they didnt want to be a passenger on the technology

oh and reading some reviews on using the goto mounts I sure its not just turn it on and go and make a cup of tea whilst it alligns itself 

;-)

If no batteries then basically a dead lump, rather like a car with no fuel, cannot really do much with it.

Technology or not is really up to you.

One thing is there are actually a lot of goto's out there, probably many more then you realise.

I know of 3 clubs around me and there are more goto's then manual scopes at all 3.

As you are in Exeter and if not already done so get along to Sidmouth NLO club and see the assortment of scopes available and have a talk to people. Sure they will be having something for Star Gazing Live.

One aspect is if there are others that you will want to look through the scope then tracking at least is helpful, the object has some chance of still being in view when they go to peer through the eyepiece.

3 good choices.

Of the two goto systems I still prefer Celestron as it allows the use of any broght stars, Skywatcher gives you a list on Greek names and you need to know ehere they are, plus they can be hidden behind trees, houses, in the g;are of a streetlight etc.

The 150 has a nice big apeture and is faster thena the SE4. Same against the 130P, bigger than the SE4 but they are both faster.

Of the two Skywatcher the 130P is possibly more grab and go as it is an AZ mount. The SE4 would also be a good grab and go. Short tube, light and basically two pieces, tripod and the OTA and yoke arm.

With Skywatcher you can also change the finder scop more easily. Ce;estron while good tend IMO to make upgrades and tweaks more difficult as they do not use Vixen type shoes etc which are more common.

So on balance the SW150 seems the better deal if you are happy to set up an EQ mount. Once you have done it a few times it can be done quickly.

The 150P on EQ3-2 was my first scope - it's good if you take measures to firm up the tripod and mount which can be a little wobbly out of the box and suffer minor vibration problems. Finding stuff with it is easy in terms of axis slewing, and it does bring you closer to the natural movement of the sky and polar alignment. Being non goto it does make you learn the sky - but you'll appreciate having that knowledge later.

An alt/az mount just moves up/down and left/right which is easy to pick up but alien to Earths rotation - and not accurate enough for long exposure photography. Without power I still find my alt/az goto platforms too awkward to use manually. You'll need a field pack and charger for a goto one of those - ordinary batteries barely last 5 mins.

Don't allow yourself to think goto scopes are plug 'n' play - it's a fallacy - you'll still face the initial challenges of judging observing conditions, choosing the right eyepieces for particular objects, and knowing which objects to tell the scope to go to. You'll also need knowledge of the sky to set the scope up, and to know which stars to use for alignment and where they are visually.

I'd recommend the largest aperture in budget - you'll see more objects and peer deeper into space. With the smaller apertures most of your money goes into the electronics rather than optics. Hth :)

Thanks peeps for taking the time to reply to a newbie, really appreciate it  :smiley:    Its 3pm and ticking.... I think Im teetering on the edge of making a step of hope...

Briefly, I cant believe I started looking for £100-200, then £200-300, now Im upto £400 ish. Moral there?  Quick decisions are cheaper   :grin: 

I have the 130P and in spite of being smaller aperture-wise than the 150P, it has been a brilliant purchase as a first scope. It provides great images of the planets and moon and wasn't too difficult to get to grips with when you start. Don't forget if you get the 4SE that you will be better advised to get a power pack for the GOTO mount as I've heard they eat AAs for fun. I've been looking at the 5 and 6SE as all have good offers on at the mo

I have an 8SE on an NEQ6 mount and absolutely love it - a cracking OTA, that being said with that budget I would go for size over the 4SE.  With a 4" MCT you would get to its limitations fairly quickly, and that would then result in more cost to upgrade.  Find a good second hand reflector on a basic eq or alt-az mount and that will serve you much better- or if it is solely visual you are after then have you considered a dobsonian?  That way you get a lot of mirror for your money to keep you occupied for some time as you pay for the scope and not the mount?

As Brantuk says don't get hung up on 'plug n play' or go to - the databases sound brilliant, and the go-to is useful, but you need the aperture to use it otherwise you will find a lot of blank sky to look at.

Have you considered a dobsonion mount? no electronics but it does give you bigger optics for your money. The mount is stable, intuitive and cheap meaning you have a lot more optics to look through for the same price. Yes photography is out  but to be truthful none of the mounts you are thinking of getting are that good for photography anyway.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Briefly, I cant believe I started looking for £100-200, then £200-300, now Im upto £400 ish. Moral there?  Quick decisions are cheaper   :grin:

IMHO quick decisions lead to wrong decisions which in the long run cost more.

Good luck and take your time.

Thanks peeps for taking the time to reply to a newbie, really appreciate it  :smiley:    Its 3pm and ticking.... I think Im teetering on the edge of making a step of hope...

Ahhh, 10 posts and already on the slippery slope...  ;-)

Have you considered a dobsonion mount? no electronics but it does give you bigger optics for your money. The mount is stable, intuitive and cheap meaning you have a lot more optics to look through for the same price. Yes photography is out  but to be truthful none of the mounts you are thinking of getting are that good for photography anyway.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Good advice here. Much more aperture than any of the three you listed, so you will get much better views. The Skyliner 200P is a great bit of kit.

Remember there are a whole host of other little little add-ons you will need want as well. The telescope is the cheap bit. Rigel/Telrad to compliment the optical finderscope, star atlas so you know where to point it, something to sit on, if you are comfortable you will be able to see more (yes, really!) a Cheshire eyepiece for collimation. After a few months (sooner if it is cloudy) you will start to think about upgrading eyepieces...

The 150P EQ3-2 was my first scope as well. For observing, I much prefer the simplicity of manual altaz mounted telescopes.

I must admit I was drawn by the descriptions of the dobsonian and after watching some passionate people on youtube was tempted.... but I reckon its going to be a Skywatcher 150P with a dual axis auto tracker, seems like a good selection of technology that just about comes within the revised (ahem twice revised) budget....

Let the clear nights commence!!!

Im booked on a one day introduction to Astronomy course at Norman Lockyear Observatory in a couple of weeks to give me a solid foundation, I'm feeling quietly excited!

Thankyou to everyone that helped to focus my decision, looking forward to asking many more questions in the future!

take care all

A couple of things we forgot to mention. firstly the telescope arrives packed in clouds so it will be a few days before you get to use it. Secondly its customary for a first light report so I look forward to yours. There's nothing quite like the thrill of seeing a new person look up at the stars and just "get it"

Archived