Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 342 - Atik 16HR and 350D Comparison With Added MartinB

jcm

A while ago I imaged IC 342 with both the Canon 350D and the Atik. Unfortunately I did not have enough time to finish the Atik colour filtered images. I have now however managed to get a luminance image to go with the the Red and Blue ones. Martin kindly offered to process these images.

The results are shown below. The first one is the Canon 350D the second is the Atik ( processed by Martin)

I think the results speak for themselves.

John

post-13061-133877335941_thumb.jpg

post-13061-133877335948_thumb.jpg

yup , a lovely bit of processing there ,by Martin , ok , i would say of course the Atik does the better job , but both images have their appeal, i do like the wide field images , alittle more exposure with the DSLR would have been even better , so although the Atik shines better of the two , the wider field does look good as well .

great comparison though

Rog

This is a pretty faint object so I think the Atik has performed amazingly to capture so much detail, and expertly handled by John of course. The colour was unbinned with a synthetic green. If the colour had been binned I think the s/n ratio would be better still. The DSLR has produced a nice wide field but the CCD has produced a detailed galaxy would take many hours for the DSLR to get close to. So maybe that's the message, DSLRs great for wide field and large relatively bright objects such as M42, M31. But for dim and close up CCD wins hands down.

Carrying on from what Martin said. I think having the 3472 X 2312 (colour) of the Canon and the 1392 X 1040 (Mono) of the Atik covers most imaging situations. Each camera has its own strengths , its just a matter of matching the right camera to the object being imaged.

John

I can only say both images are very very good :hello1: I would have liked to have written in they were both exquisite but I can't spell it :shock:

if push come to shove I would tend to agree with vega although not by much as Rog puts it they both have their appeal (but what does he know?) :shock: :D

Personally i would have liked to have seen the shot with a modded 350D - fairer comparison.

The fairest comparison would be identical scopes side by side imaging at the same time with the cameras of our choice. However being the real world we use what we have.

There are some Ha regions in this galaxy but they don't come out in the Atik image either. Really I don't see that a modded DSLR would have made a deal of difference since the predominant colour isn't red. In fact one of the problems with the DSLR image of John's is that it is a little too red!

No one needs to champion one camera over another, there are lots of issues esp affordability. However, if you are going to fork out over a grand on a camera you will want to know that you are going to get a return for your investment. That is what this comparison is about and the Atik certainly delivers.

BTW - It is a modded 350D - see my equiptment info at the bottom of the post.

The Canon is produces excellent images of the big nebulea , see recent Rosette Neb image. Its just not as good as the Atik imaging smaller and fainter stuff.

John

Archived