Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions on binoculars for casual viewing

ian-d

Despite my best efforts, I've not been able to get use to astronomy via telescope, hence my Celestron 114EQ will soon be up for sale on ebay! I've found that lugging the kit around too much hassle, struggle with viewing through a single eyepiece, and couldn't seem to keep up with the speed of movement of the moon etc through manual adjustments.

As such, I decided to take out my basic bird watching binoculars (Bushell 8x40) and found the entire experience much more to my liking. I didn't find much disadvantage when looking at the moon (apart from a less magnification) and being able to freely move around was preferred...even if this maybe doesn't class me as interested in astronomy.

Anyway, to my questions. Given I have 8x40 at the moment, would I benefit much from going for something like 10x50, or possibly as high as 15x70 from Celestron or Revelation etc? Would 15x70 be too heavy and large to hand-hold as I don't really plan on buying a tripod.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't want to spend much, up to ~£90.

As such, I decided to take out my basic bird watching binoculars (Bushell 8x40) and found the entire experience much more to my liking. I didn't find much disadvantage when looking at the moon (apart from a less magnification) and being able to freely move around was preferred...even if this maybe doesn't class me as interested in astronomy.

Nope, this classes you as someone who is sufficiently interested in astronomy to want to enjoy it with relative ease. Nowt wrong with that! :grin:

Anyway, to my questions. Given I have 8x40 at the moment, would I benefit much from going for something like 10x50, or possibly as high as 15x70 from Celestron or Revelation etc? Would 15x70 be too heavy and large to hand-hold as I don't really plan on buying a tripod.

There is little to be gained, IMO, from  going up from 8x40 to 10x50. A 15x70 would show you more but, whilst some of us do hand-hold them for short periods, they really do need to be mounted to get the best out of them. You can always bodge a monopod from a broom or a rake or something plus a clean cloth and a bungee.

I prefer 10x50s over lower mags for astro work and can think of no reason not to have a pair. I should think you can find reasonable quality in the price range you're after. Perhaps borrowing a set to try first would convince you that one cannot have too much glass around. 

Well, I greatly prefer 8x42 over 10x50. I have both but find the increase in magnification insignificant and the increase in the shakes a big issue. This will always be a personal thing. If you want the simplicity of hand holding along with higher magnification go for broke and a pair of image stabilized bins! I never try to hand hold our 15x70s. To find out of you really can see more in 15x70s find some distant text at the limit of legibility in the smaller bins then try to read it in the hand held 15x70s. This can be an eye-opener...

Olly

Hi. The 15x70 would show you more . To get the best out of them some sort of mount would have to be used. I have the Apollo 15x70 and did try for a bit holding them but I found it no good because at some point you start to shake and even though it's not much it does tell when looking through them.

I got a tripod and to be honest they are brilliant .

Here is my tripod I use . Have you thought of Binoviewers for your telescope. You might find it better and saves you selling your telescope.

post-32388-0-16877700-1388665212_thumb.j

15 X 70 are a bit on the heavy side, try holding a bag of sugar up to you eyes, couple of minutes and your be putting in your tea, i have some 10 X 56's and there about the limit and my 10 X 42's are really steady, there is also the price range there's a difference between cheap Bins and expensive Bins, colour fringing don't happen in the quality Bin but this is at a cost, well worth spending the extra on quality....

Olly's post sums up my experience. I've owned 7x50 and 10x50 but have settled on 8x40. I don't seem to detect the extra light advantage of 7x50 (probably age related) and find 10x50 too shaky. I have 15x70 which are great but I find a tripod is essential after a short time.

Thanks for the opinions, seems I may already be on to a winner with the existing 8x40's, though could probably improve on the quality with a more suited make. Unfortunately I do still need to sell the telescope, as space is becoming an issue which is another reason why a tripod for a set of bins is a no go.

Is any make within my budget better than another should I decide to try 10x50's anyway? Celestron, Olympus, Pentax, Meade?

I often lie on my back on the patio with my binos. This helps my dodgy neck and also helps to keep things more steady. I have never used a 15x70 as many people here will say you need some kind of a stand to support it and improve steadyness.

With 7x50 the exit pupil is just over 7mm and is too big to be taken into most human eyes, so any extra light is lost.

I can't comment on particular makes because there are so many. However, roof prism bins are more expensive to make than Porro prism ones so to get more optical quality for your money go for the Porros. The compactnesss of roof prism bins is nice but for astronomy it would be better to put the money into the optics rather than the compactness.

Olly

Lots of the cheaper "10x50s" are actually stopped down to 10x40ish anyway, in which case you'll see very little difference compared to your current pair (assuming they aren't also stopped down). So do your research.

Get some 15x70's - mine get used more than my scopes.  I've found that I prefer using my 15x70's while reclined in a garden chair with elbows tucked in.   I can observe comfortably that way for extensive periods without getting sore arms.  When I use the tripod I invariably end up with a cricked neck!

Have 8x42 Bushnells and really they are as good as you will get for casual viewing. Simply easy to hold and use, which is I suspect why they have become the standard amongst birdwatchers.

No idea which Bushnells you have but from the experience I have to get better would take a fair increase in budget. THey are very good.

Not sure it matters much, but the Bushnell 8x40's I have are code 118401 and are from the Birding Series. They are certainly comfortable to hold, but just wasn't sure if 10x50 would make much difference and whether going any larger would be easy to hold, which it seems not. Think I might be at the maximum level of kit for my enjoyment gazing at the stars.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have the space, get one of those large rubber exercise mats and lay on the floor. What you can do then is put one elbow on the ground to support the weight. It means looking vertically instead of horizontally but does that matter?

You'd be suprised how much weight you can support like that and how easy it is to reach all targets.

Archived