Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting circle

bats

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok ....Got the setting circle printed and laminated. Is there a particular way I should place it on the base? i.e....zero at the top end of the scope etc....Or does it not matter?

Hope that makes sense?

Many thanks for all the help so far and I will post some pics as soon as its done :grin:

Ok ....Got the setting circle printed and laminated. Is there a particular way I should place it on the base? i.e....zero at the top end of the scope etc....Or does it not matter?

Hope that makes sense?

Many thanks for all the help so far and I will post some pics as soon as its done :grin:

I'd put the zero or 360 at 9o clock or to your left as you look down the ota Paul .then when you line up with Polaris and put your pointer at the same mark it's not under the tube and still easily visible

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first play with my push-to system - worked very well indeed!  All objects within 1 degree of target, usually closer.  

However, I did have a problem with my iPhone app.  I was using astromist, but it seems to develop intermittent faults, pointing me at the wrong object, with incorrect coordinates, with the location and time set correctly.  Distant Suns worked well, but it does not allow me to save my own lists, and does not include NGC objects.  I am going to do some reasearch into an alternative app now, will post if I find something decent.  What do other 'push-to' users use?

Cheers Rhys . I made a triangle from wood and bought some shed levelling legs from internet. Got to objects on the back garden within two degrees, so we'll chuffed ! :) I use sky safari and go sky watch for coordinates. They are not too bad and with a bit of fiddling about you can normally find what your after.

I've ended up going for starmap - nice interface, stars to 16, M,C,NGC and IC catalogues, comets and more. Lots of other features, but you can only save one list of targets, and can't order them.

My next mods are to build a nice box for transporting the ota, and some home made dew heaters. Not sure whether to use nichrome or a ladder of resistors yet.

Rhys

• 9 months later...

It seems that you all seem sorted.

However I have drawn up setting circles for both of my dobs using autocad. They have been drawn anti clockwise as they are mounted on the top plate. With the 8" I plotted it on paper and put sticky back plastic on either side. However this didn't lay too flat and I wasn't really happy with it. I had a rethink for the 12" and had it printed on adhesive plastic/vinyl - the sort you see on the wheel covers of 4x4's. This worked great. If anyone is still after an anticlockwis setting circle I can send a copy as a pdf, dxf or dwg format. The degree divisions could have done with being a little wider, and I will do this or I could probably scale it to other sizes if required.

Archived