Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What plumbing fitting has been butchered here?

JamesF

I've been looking at the sequence of images starting here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/averen1/3549549922/in/photostream/

That first image looks like some sort of plumbing fitting cut down and stuck into a 32mm solvent weld straight through union.  But what?

There's another picture of it here through the end of the union:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/averen1/3549549294/in/photostream/

Anyone have any ideas what it is?

James

Hi again James

I've just seen your other post about this and can see where your going with it, some kind of tube arrangement to vent a SCT via the eyepiece adaptor? I have had a closer look at the first image and it may not be a speedfit nut, but I am pretty sure that one would do it, I'll have a look in my stores later this morning and post you a pic of what I find.

John

I've just posed the question to my pet plumber .

Looks familiar to me , part of a bottle trap maybe ... ?

I did wonder about that.  I've not been able to find anything that looks quite right yet though.  It's certainly ingenious :)

James

Hi again James

I've just seen your other post about this and can see where your going with it, some kind of tube arrangement to vent a SCT via the eyepiece adaptor? I have had a closer look at the first image and it may not be a speedfit nut, but I am pretty sure that one would do it, I'll have a look in my stores later this morning and post you a pic of what I find.

John

Thank you John.  It is exactly that.  The idea is to put a tube up the inside of the SCT baffle tube such that ambient air can be blown through it by a fan.  The air leaves the OTA by being forced down the gap between the inlet tube and the baffle tube.  The idea is to reduce cool-down times for "closed" OTAs, but in my case I specifically want to try it to see if it reduces dewing on the internal optical surfaces.

In this case the "finned" part is being used to hold the inlet tube in position whilst allowing the air out around it.  If all else fails I shall probably just cut a couple of discs with a central hole to support the inlet pipe and lots of 10mm holes around the outside, but this solution looks quite neat.

James

its an push fit to solvent expansion coupler  the bit inside is from something else but what I'm not sure wouldn't be to difficult to make a piece of overflow pipe and make the fins from the bit you cut out and some solvent weld 

Pumping air through the SCT might aid cooling down but won't this introduce dew/damp inside the SCT which will cause condensation when the SCT is taken back into a warmer environment, the ideal situation would be to keep the SCT outside 24/7 with a FLO Desiccant cap fitted........so get your finger out and build a Obby...:)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/flo-125-2-inch-desiccant-cap.html

Pumping air through the SCT might aid cooling down but won't this introduce dew/damp inside the SCT which will cause condensation when the SCT is taken back into a warmer environment, the ideal situation would be to keep the SCT outside 24/7 with a FLO Desiccant cap fitted........so get your finger out and build a Obby... :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/flo-125-2-inch-desiccant-cap.html

In my case the OTA doesn't get taken back into a (much) warmer environment anyhow.  It stays outdoors most of the time, albeit in a shed when not in use.  I think a desiccant cap would certainly make a difference, so I shall add that to my list of things to try.

A proper observatory is something I'm desperate to get sorted.  Unfortunately the weather and "'er indoors" seem to have other plans :(

James

Its some sort of plumbing vent cap. The sort of thing you might see on top of a waste pipe from a washing machine or dishwasher.

A sort of air admittance valve?  That thought had crossed my mind, but I can't find images of anything similar on google.

James

Hi James

Been a bit busy today trying to finish the Obs build, but any way this is what I've cobbled together.

22mm * 15mm Speedfit reducing coupler with a bit of 15mm copper pipe pushed into it ( I'd probably recommend that 15mm plastic pipe was used rather than copper but didnt have any to hand)

post-26295-0-32835900-1388426313_thumb.j

The short bit of 1 1/4" waste pipe that I had to hand, is push fit and as such is 34mm OD . I wont be able till get a piece of 32mm until next week when I'm back at work. I've drilled some holes into the sides of the waste pipe then warmed it in some boiling water to soften it up. The 15mm end of the fitting then pushes into the pipe.

post-26295-0-00662900-1388427003_thumb.j

That then leaves a 22mm end which should be easy enough to adapt up to fit the blower fan.

post-26295-0-15199700-1388427111_thumb.j

I'll get a piece of solvent waste next week and rig one up.

Regards

John

That's a very kind offer, thank you.  I think I'm going to see if I can find the parts in one of the local DIY sheds tomorrow though.  I'll be cursing if I miss another opportunity to use the scope because I've not got things organised in time.  I have to go to buy some plumbing kit anyhow.  I promised the children we'd build a potato cannon.

James

Archived