Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tips for setting up my Meade GOTO???

Evening all got a Meade ETX 70 for Xmas just as a toy as I'm only learing read the instructions and had a little test with the go to but couldn't see anything at all so has any one got any tips for setting up????

Hi bbg404, make sure you use the lowest power eyepiece to start off with, then the next thing is to align the finder scope with the main scope, best done in daylight on a distant object like a church spire or something.  Make sure you start off the alignment process in the 'home' postion, facing north and that the telescope is absolutely level, also that you have your position (Long & Lat) accurately punched into the handset, and the time and date of course (might be the American format).  This hopefully should get you started.

Hi all,

rather than begin a new thread on a similar topic I thought I'd add to this one - I hope you don't mind.

I've just got a Celestron AVX mount and I must be doing something wrong when setting up.

I set up the tripod to face north and set my altitude to 52 degrees which is about right. I then use a polarscope to polar align the mount. I then align the home markings on both ra and dec and begin the goto process for alignment.

I set up date, time, lat and longitude, daylight savings and universal time then choose Vega as the first alignment star. Now for the problem, by setting up the tripod for polar alignment and aligning the home markings I thought the mount would slew to more or less the correct location for the first alignment star of Vega but it slews quite a way off to the west of Vega and too low as well.

Any ideas what may be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi all,

rather than begin a new thread on a similar topic I thought I'd add to this one - I hope you don't mind.

I've just got a Celestron AVX mount and I must be doing something wrong when setting up.

I set up the tripod to face north and set my altitude to 52 degrees which is about right. I then use a polarscope to polar align the mount. I then align the home markings on both ra and dec and begin the goto process for alignment.

I set up date, time, lat and longitude, daylight savings and universal time then choose Vega as the first alignment star. Now for the problem, by setting up the tripod for polar alignment and aligning the home markings I thought the mount would slew to more or less the correct location for the first alignment star of Vega but it slews quite a way off to the west of Vega and too low as well.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

It might be better that you do start a new topic. Discussing two dissimilar mounts and problems may start to get a bit confusing after a while.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Replies to this one should be made here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/203335-celestron-avx-goto-problem/

Archived