I hate the cold ! arrrggghhh

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Start with Merino wool long johns and long sleeve vest. I haven't yet stood for hours next to a telescope but have spent many hours above 3,000ft in freezing temperatures and these are just what you need. Three layers of just about anything on top of these and you will think you are in Hawaii :grin:

Start with Merino wool long johns and long sleeve vest. I haven't yet stood for hours next to a telescope but have spent many hours above 3,000ft in freezing temperatures and these are just what you need. Three layers of just about anything on top of these and you will think you are in Hawaii :grin:

These then? there's a store litterally outside our old mill here, think I'm in there tomorrow then.

Thanks.

Got a 'Ushanka' russian hat from russia so sorted on the head.

There is a lot of expensive rubbish out there for 'staying warm'.

Go back to basics on what people wore for centuries before fancy materials came about. WOOL!

I where normal clothes, then put on my car overalls that are wool lined. I then put on a woolly jumper if its really cold, then my normal coat. Keeping your feet warm is vital, so woolly socks in my boots. Woolly hat and woolly gloves.

Bob on, I can survive all day and night with that lot on, in fact other than I replace the overalls with salopettes, it what I wear going skiing. It doesn't need to be waterproof, windproof, everything proof - as you won't be observing if the weather is like that.

Stick with wool, its cheap and super effective.

Thermal socks, Fingerless cycling gloves, Hot water bottle partway down back of trousers with belt to keep it there, Thermal T-shirt, thin fleece jumper, padded fleece body warmer, thicker fleece jacket, coffee in thermal cup.

You can also get battery heated gloves/jacket from Maplin or other suppliers.

Thermal fleece base layer shirt and bottoms

Snowboarding mid layer shirt

Ski jacket

Snow trousers

Merino wool socks over skinny socks (TK Maxx does these for very little money)

British Army Extreme Cold boots (make sure your boots have been warmed up before putting them)

Mitts (TK Maxx)

Ushanka style hat.

You can score this stuff pretty cheaply on web ski wear shops

I too have struggled against the cold, especially now I'm getting older, so for Christmas my better half bought me thermal long johns and long sleeve vest plus an apparently authentic Soviet army surplus Ushanka hat and thermal socks. Also a pair of thermal gripper gloves. Over these I wore my Berghaus fleece jacket and shell and went outside the night before last and I think I could have stayed there all night. The hat is brilliant and I didn't get any of the skin irritation that my old Thinsulate one sometimes caused. I should have invested in the thermal underwear long before now as they do a great job. In my youth I attended many winter motorbike rallies and they were essential. In those days it was always Damart but my new ones were from British Thermals at quite a low price. The gripper gloves were also cheap but seemed to work and being fairly close fitting I was able to change eyepieces etc. Looking forward to a proper cold night ie when the dew freezes on the scope.

"I dont consider 0C as cold. True you do need to wrap up warm. To me 0C is just a long sleeve top and jeans weather. No hat,gloves etc.

That's just me though. "

Paul, a truly Canadian outlook on winter Haha!

0C is warm.

-5C is chilly,-11C is just silly to  be out in.

Experienced all of the above here in Dublin  over the last 3 yrs.

Last night we reached -25c and with a polar fleece pullover underneath a down-filled parka everything was A1 for an hour. I tried the "bank robber " full face thing but had trouble negotiating the E.P s, someone mentioned those foil lined insoles which I bought, they are amazing !

Thermal socks, thermal long johns, thermal vest, Thinsulate hat, ski gloves and a Helly Hansen jacket. Works for me!

You should be able to pick up some cheap thermals from somewhere like Asda or BHS etc.

I always wear my converse but if it drops past -3 my feet are cold! Maybe them foil inserts will make them toasty :p I need to invest in some decent warm foot wear really, looks a bit silly with a storm proof all in one and converse poking out of the bottom :p suppose no one can see in the dark...

Archived