Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lining metal shed Observatory

sooty

How well ventilated is your shed?  I had a metal observatory and never had condensation problems - the roof had corrugations that made lots of air gaps and these, along with gaps around the edges (due to the roof being able to roll) allowed a good flow of air at all times.

I also had condensation problems on the roof interior of my metal shed observatory when it was very cold. Towards the end of my build thread here you can see I lined the roof and walls with Jablite insulation from B&Q, as shown here. I also used this under the floor mats to prvent damp from below. All very cosy and condensation free now.

I'd just use sheets of good rigid insulation, something like Cellotex RR or an equivalent. I suspect that expanding foam would bond it to the roof forever and fill in the gaps as well. Or you could support the insulation sheets with batons. This is what I did on our large steel roofed shed. No glue, just batons.

Olly

Kingspan sheet would probably do it, but given the cost I'd go for a 1" jablite sheet first, then possibly seal or cover this to prevent it breaking up (water based paint and PVA?) - The first rule though is ventillation.     Bizibilders old observatory is providing sterling service to me in it's second incarnation - probably too many gaps for dehumidification, but certainly no evidence of condensation on the roof, despite recent atrocious conditions - though I do have a little that gets in around my poorly fitting door ;)

I too have a metal roof observatory. I used polystrene veneer, the type used for reducing condensation on walls. 

http://www.wickes.co.uk/white-polystyrene-veneer-10m-x-05m/invt/105968/?source=123_74&tmcampid=104&tmad=c&tmplaceref=PPC_ggl_0006635&tmcustom=mkwid|W5fPyZGt_dc|pcrid|7531858372|match||plid|&gclid=CLTP_f2C4rsCFRMRtAodlVMAQA

I stuck it to the inside of the roof with a solvent-free mastic/adhesive (like No-More Nails), then painted it with a coat of emulsion to help prevent the surface breaking up.   It's been up for 6 years now with not problems.

It's very cheap (the adhesive cost more than the polystyrene) and pretty easy to put up.  It completely prevents condensation but (because it is just a few millimetres thick) provides minimal insulation, which means the observatory still cools down quickly at night.

Archived