NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Considering EQmod

Hi all,

I'm considering ditching the handset at some point and trying out my NEQ6 with an eqmmod adapter and CdC.

Flo do these:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

but saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HitecAstro-EQDIR-EQMOD-for-Skywatcher-EQ6-NEQ6-New-Design-/291003394129?pt=UK_Telescope_Adapters&hash=item43c1276851

Am I missing something?  Same thing?

Cheers

£99! Wow..I truly hope that no-one pays that much.

The HitecAstro ones have the Prolific chip in them. I personally find this a bit flaky (at best). If you can find one with a FTDI chip then that would be better. FTDI ones just work, the Prolific sometimes needs messing about with drivers and EQASCOM cannot detect the COM port automatically (at least on mine it can't)

£99! Wow..I truly hope that no-one pays that much.

The HitecAstro ones have the Prolific chip in them. I personally find this a bit flaky (at best). If you can find one with a FTDI chip then that would be better. FTDI ones just work, the Prolific sometimes needs messing about with drivers and EQASCOM cannot detect the COM port automatically (at least on mine it can't)

Have to disagree slightly - yes the correct driver is required (Hitech provide this) but I've had no problems with auto detect

Have to disagree slightly - yes the correct driver is required (Hitech provide this) but I've had no problems with auto detect

Who knows with computers!

Mine won't autodetect in the Driver Setup of EQASCOM. it works if I set the correct COM port though. Strange.

Ok, so there may or may not be some slight technical "hiccups" but essentially the £28 cable from FLO is the one and ENS are either a bunch of chancers or priced it incorrectly.

Thanks

I used my handset for some while and resisted EQMOD as something of a gimmick that would offer me little over normal imaging.

Eventually I bit the bullet and have to say that in 18 months or so of using EQMOD it is brilliant. I am so dependant on it now that if my cable dies on me I give up - I always have a spare just in case!! I think that the mount control is excellent and it just seems so less 'clunky' than the handset. So would I go back to the handset? .... No way!!

Do it and you'll never look back - When you do, you'll wonder why it took you so long :grin:

I will chuck one random thought in here ... and that is I absolutely LOVE the SynScan 3.35 PA routine on the handset.

My PA is much better with that than my PC software options, so much so that I take the handset to the dark sites with me, PA, then switch back to EQMod :)

I will chuck one random thought in here ... and that is I absolutely LOVE the SynScan 3.35 PA routine on the handset.

My PA is much better with that than my PC software options, so much so that I take the handset to the dark sites with me, PA, then switch back to EQMod :)

This is quite true...

Hi all,

I'm considering ditching the handset at some point and trying out my NEQ6 with an eqmmod adapter and CdC.

Flo do these:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

but saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HitecAstro-EQDIR-EQMOD-for-Skywatcher-EQ6-NEQ6-New-Design-/291003394129?pt=UK_Telescope_Adapters&hash=item43c1276851

Am I missing something? Same thing?

Cheers

Might I suggest that prior to ordering any cable you give EQMOD a try using the synscan in PC-Direct mode. If you get on with it and decide you want to go the EQDirect route then take a look at the EQMOD Project website where we tell you how to build the 232, usb and bluetooth interfaces. You can build your own for £10 or less, so keep that in mind when looking at commercial unitd. Most folks are happy to pay an extra £20 or so for the peace of mind that comes with a commercially built/tested unit but you really shouldn't be paying any more.

Chris

Who knows with computers!

Mine won't autodetect in the Driver Setup of EQASCOM. it works if I set the correct COM port though. Strange.

I owe you an apology. Whilst I have never seen this problem with my prior HEQ5 and NEQ6, I have now got it with the EQ8 :)

Might I suggest that prior to ordering any cable you give EQMOD a try using the synscan in PC-Direct mode. If you get on with it and decide you want to go the EQDirect route then take a look at the EQMOD Project website where we tell you how to build the 232, usb and bluetooth interfaces. You can build your own for £10 or less, so keep that in mind when looking at commercial unitd. Most folks are happy to pay an extra £20 or so for the peace of mind that comes with a commercially built/tested unit but you really shouldn't be paying any more.

Chris

Apologies to the OP for the slight hijack here, but whilst you are on the thread Chris is this anything you are aware of? (Auto detect not working on EQ8 but will connect when port is specified.)

Archived