Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy to use finder/sighter scope?

Hi all.  On both my telescopes I have a normal cross hairs finder scope.  One is supported by one three pin ring and the other with two three pin rings.

But I find the finder especially on the reflector to be very uncomfortable to use.  If the scope is pointing very high in the sky you have to be a contorsionist to get into a good position and the finder being so close to the tube I find I can easily nudge it while getting into position.

I've tried to set up the refractor in the day and that is easier but of course things can move while I stumble around in the dark  :laugh:  

I guess what I'd really like is a finder that offered one or more of:

• mounted a bit further from the tube
  • had a big big FoV with a zoom so I could find Orion and then zoom in to my target.
  • had a 90 degree (or even 45 degree) eyepiece

or is there a mystery technique of using these things that I've missed among all my reading and the rest of you find it a doddle?

Any thoughts before I throw money at it much appreciated  :smiley:

ps: I did have a red dot sighter but that had to go as with a squiffy eye that was no good for me.

Hi

I've got a metre long refractor and recently bought a Skywatcher 9x50 which has a 90 degree diagonal, erect and right way round image. It may not be state of the art but it's a dream to use compared with the 6x30 original and avoids the pain in the neck syndrome!

Rob

Like many people, I soon swapped the straight through finder on my dob for a right angled correct image one:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/skywatcher-9x50-right-angled-erecting-finderscope.html

It is so much easier and more comfortable to use now. Along with a Telrad, it really is a doddle now to find targets compared to the straight through finder alone.

basically what Gareth said. I found that three things made my observing so much more product, enjoyable and less painful

Decent star map - sky and telescope pocket atlas is very good

Telrad / Red dot finder for initial alignment

Right angle corrected image finder for final tune in

an adjustable seat makes it even better.

basically what Gareth said. I found that three things made my observing so much more product, enjoyable and less painful

Decent star map - sky and telescope pocket atlas is very good

Telrad / Red dot finder for initial alignment

Right angle corrected image finder for final tune in

an adjustable seat makes it even better.

I'd endorse this 100%.

Get to within a few degrees with the RDF, locate the object with the RACI and then use the seat to enjoy the view (make sure it's insulated though in this weather!).

Chris

Thanks guys if nothing else at least you've confirmed I hadn't fitted it upside down  :grin:   On the reflector it just seems such a stupid design I seriously thought it might be me!!! 

I'd endorse this 100%.

Get to within a few degrees with the RDF, locate the object with the RACI and then use the seat to enjoy the view (make sure it's insulated though in this weather!).

Chris

Wife is away at the moment so it is a nice dining room chair with cushion but that won't work once we get back in the new year  :police:

I hadn't planned on another £65 but this I think will as you say add greatly to my enjoyment.  Just last night (windy so not great anyway) I had a good look at the moon then rumbled up to Jupiter.  Must have taken me 10 mins to get there and just as I did the hazy clouds drifted over.  C'est la vie  :huh:

Bu I really think when I get my power lead - and stop blowing AA batteries -- and with this finder scope all my expenditure will be over  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry back again on my finder problem  :rolleyes:

Last night I had both my scopes set up.  And I suddenly scared myself thinking that I'd need two 90 degree finders - £130.  At the time rather than get neck, back, whatever ache I was using my Tele Vue 32mm EP to scan the sky and hunt the target.  And I thought:  What a great EP this is.  What clarity.  Good focus to the edges.  Why rather than 2xFinders don't I just invest in an even bigger EP with a bigger FoV.

I can switch the EP between scopes in seconds.  And I've heard people talk of enjoying 40mm EPs.  And big FoVs.  And the finders I currently have don't seem to have much bigger field of view than my 32mm baby.

Is this faulty logic guys?  Am I missing something?  Any thoughts as always greatfully received before my final budget goes out of the bank  :cool:

You can swap finders about, though you may have to realign them when you do.

If you can get an eyepiece with enough true field, you could go straight from a reticle finder like a Rigel Quikfinder to said eyepiece. With a 1.25" focuser, the 32 mm Plossl will give you the widest field you can get. WIth a 2" focuser more is available.

You can swap finders about, though you may have to realign them when you do.

If you can get an eyepiece with enough true field, you could go straight from a reticle finder like a Rigel Quikfinder to said eyepiece. With a 1.25" focuser, the 32 mm Plossl will give you the widest field you can get. WIth a 2" focuser more is available.

Tx Cantab.  The idea of changing finders really doesn't appeal.  By the time I've done that and had a look my target in the other scope will be long gone.  If I go the finder route it would be 2 finders.

But the 2" idea sort of appeals.  It would allow me to try 2" EPs.  Am I right in thinking that I just need a converter and 2" EP?   Or does a simple converter not give the full 2" benefit?  And would finding target with 2" then changing to 1.25" be practical?  Can't imagine converting everything to 2".

Guess the biggest view 1.25 would be the easy option.  Especially if I combined with a good star atlas and lots of practise  :laugh:

The advantage of the larger format in terms of field of view is because it's physically wider at the focal plane. If you have a narrowing because the focuser is the smaller format, you lose that advantage.

green laser pens only really work if you have no overhead or nearby air traffic and the humidity/dust is high.

I have been fortunate enough recently to take my little one out to show her some constellations - it was that clear that the GLP didnt actually show up at all!!!

Archived