Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 05.00 am

ultramol

After a good read of the pinned post on this board I started observing jupiter at 5 o clock this morning. I used a 25mm EP . I kept this on for 40 mins or so then added a 2x barlow. 10 mins later I put a 10 mm on the barlow and got a fantastic view of this planet and its 4 moons, Normally I would have dived straight in with a high mag but this time I crept up on it and was rewarded with some brilliant (if brief ) views. It really does pay to slowly accustom  your eyes to what you are observing. Had to give up at 6.00 am as the neighbours got up and tried to light up an imaginary runway !!! Still, can't wait till that moon does one and disappears.... :rolleyes:

That's exactly the tactic that I use on Jupiter. Stalk him with increasing magnification until you find the highest that seeing conditions will take and then wait for the best moments of seeing. The longer you observe the more you see. Generally I find that the 10mm ep is the best that can be used but if conditions look good, even for brief spells, I try the 6 mm. I've seen some lovely detail like that. But then on other occasions there's nothing doing with either and I make do with the wider view of the big lad out there in space with his retinue of moons.

Nice report. I tend to creep up less stealthily, moving from 31mm (65.5x) to 10mm (203x) in one go. I then play around with 12 (169x), 10, 8.5 (239x), 8 (254x), and 7mm (290x) to find out what's best for the conditions. I think the main issue is taking time on planets, both to give the eye time to settle in and to allow time to catch moments of good seeing.

Nice posting, a bit of patience and getting the eye tuned in works wonders. It helps keeping both eyes open, just hold something over the eye not observing, like a hand.

This helps in not putting a squinting strain and fooling the brain that input is coming from both peepers.

Our neighbour has a searchlight from Stalag 17. Wake up time about 5.45 for first ciggie of the day, ow!

Nick.

Really helpful post! As simple as info like this is, it's great for me as a newB! Your first reaction is to want to get as much detail as you can and before you know it you're on you 2x Barlow with your 10m EP... But it seems this is not always the way to get the best view, as I found the other day when looking at Jupiter. The atmosphere was lousy and the seeing was not good so using my Barlow was pointless!! Approaching it with more patience and letting your eyes adjust is great advice, thank you!

Jessica

It helps keeping both eyes open, just hold something over the eye not observing, like a hand.

This helps in not putting a squinting strain and fooling the brain that input is coming from both peepers.

I invested in an eye patch some time ago, works a treat. But I noticed that I had to make a conscious effort to keep my non observing open, it seemed that I was so used to squinting at the EP that I still did this with the patch in place.

I invested in an eye patch some time ago, works a treat. But I noticed that I had to make a conscious effort to keep my non observing open, it seemed that I was so used to squinting at the EP that I still did this with the patch in place.

An eye patch... You mean I can finally dress up as a pirate with a valid excuse!! :D it's hard to keep both eyes open, feels very unnatural, but it does work a treat!

Jessica

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An eye patch... You mean I can finally dress up as a pirate with a valid excuse!! :D it's hard to keep both eyes open, feels very unnatural, but it does work a treat!

Jessica

As my wife keeps saying you really need a parrot on your shoulder as well. Tried that but it wouldn't stop fouling the mirror  :eek:

I'm a creeper too! I like working through the EPs to find the best image.

It helps keeping both eyes open, just hold something over the eye not observing, like a hand.

Nick.

Yep, I've been doing this for a long time.

Must try the patch! Would help to keep both hands free too!

Cheers

Archived