Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dont be afraid of focal length.

neil phillips

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been getting a lot of noise with my QHY James and I wonder if its down to the small size creating heat especially at the fastest frames rates. Would be very interesting to do a side by side comparison of the ZWO and QHY cams.

It would be very interesting to get out more than once a month :(  The weather here does not appear to wish to oblige however.  I could test them "on the bench", but in the house at 20C ambient with suitable settings for getting an image in artificial light doesn't really seem like a useful test.  I have noticed whilst writing my capture application that the DxK21 models seem hideously noisy compared to the ASI in similar conditions.  I can't believe the behaviour will be the same when imaging with an ambient temperature of 1C or 2C.

James

I think the ZWO ASI120MM is probably better from a driver and support perspective, though it is a little more expensive.    That being said, the only issues I've had have been with LX, rather than high frame rate PI.      The QHY5L-II's 1.25" form is also really nice in giving some freedom to vary focal length and its a lot lighter as well.

Might be worth checking out the newer e2v ruby sensors might be worth a look as well - I think IDS and Basler do some USB3 industrial cameras based on this which are supported in Firecapture.     

I prefer lighter for sure Jake.

Things change so fast in this game I do wonder if sometimes its worth waiting for major leaps. Having said that we are always trying to extract that little bit more each year.

Only seems like yesterday I spent 400 quid on the dmk

It would be very interesting to get out more than once a month :(  The weather here does not appear to wish to oblige however.  I could test them "on the bench", but in the house at 20C ambient with suitable settings for getting an image in artificial light doesn't really seem like a useful test.  I have noticed whilst writing my capture application that the DxK21 models seem hideously noisy compared to the ASI in similar conditions.  I can't believe the behaviour will be the same when imaging with an ambient temperature of 1C or 2C.

James

How big is your fridge? :smiley:

Things change so fast in this game I do wonder if sometimes its worth waiting for major leaps. Having said that we are always trying to extract that little bit more each year.

As I have both here on my desk, the QHY with the retaining ring comes in at 65g, whereas the ASI120 is 100g.  It's not a huge amount either way...

The ASI does come up on AB&S from time to time.

James

How big is your fridge? :smiley:

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you the likely result of my wife returning home to find me sitting in the kitchen with a laptop and a couple of USB leads trailing out of the fridge door :D

I could try telling her I'm trying to resolve the mystery of Schrodingers fridge light, perhaps...

James

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you the likely result of my wife returning home to find me sitting in the kitchen with a laptop and a couple of USB leads trailing out of the fridge door :D

I could try telling her I'm trying to resolve the mystery of Schrodingers fridge light, perhaps...

James

My other 1/2 would not be in the least bit surprised if I did something like that and would probably ask me to pass the milk :smiley:

Personally I think you're doing quite well enough with that DMK ;)

It is silly though quickly the tech advances. It would be nice if more manufacturers adopted a modular approach.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Archived