SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary/Lunar Scope

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that one too. I think it's made by Bosma in China. Not too many reviews of these around though. Some more info from a German retailer here:

http://www.teleskop-spezialisten.de/Maksutov_Cassegrain_MAK.html

Yes John, I think you're right...I am pretty sure their 150mm Rumak is sourced from Bosma, seemed to get good write ups..

Not sure it would be worth £800?

I know there is a really nice Intes M615 on UKABS at the moment...although smaller than the 180 Skymax Pro, the Intes F15 scopes do have a good reputation as planet killers.. I had two of the M603 F10's and was well impressed with them. The 615 has a significantly smaller central obstruction so will have great contrast.

I also know the seller of this scope and he is a straight guy who I'm sure would give an honest overall appraisal of the scope if asked. The (reduced) price of £575 seems very fair for this scope, as it has all it's accessories, including the best ever dewshield, metal with 5 baffles of it's own!!

Dave

Well it has arrived safely (Thanks Andrew!) and is in the conservatory cooling down a bit.  I'm about to go and set up in time for Jupiter and the Moon  :grin:   I just hope the lashing rain from this afternoon doesn't return, and the temperature doesn't fall too quickly or the wet patio will turn into a skating rink!!

More later hopefully....

Helen <excited  :grin: >

Well it probably wasn't the best night to start really.... the scope has been in the warm house and its freezing out!, add to that that its been raining heavily all afternoon and so the moisture content everywhere is off the scale and the result was fuzzy images and dewing eyepieces (even with dew straps at full tilt).  The occasional flash of clarity makes me encouraged for a lot more on a proper night  :smiley:

Here's hoping for a good night soon (contrary to what the weather forecast says!!)

Helen

SCT thread?

Hi Knobby,

The scope came with a 2inch adapter so I used that tonight.  But I've now checked the thread against my SCT and the adapter works, so I've concluded the scope is threaded SCT  :smiley: Thanks for the offer of the adapter though  :icon_salut:

Helen

The seeing has been quite decent for a short window of time here Helen but another sheet of cloud has just crept across. Just when the GRS was on the central meridian too ! :sad:

We have just had a sprinkle of rain so I'm glad I thought to stick the scope in the greenhouse while I had a coffee !

Hi Knobby,

The scope came with a 2inch adapter so I used that tonight. But I've now checked the thread against my SCT and the adapter works, so I've concluded the scope is threaded SCT :smiley: Thanks for the offer of the adapter though :icon_salut:

Helen

No worries... Enjoy them 7 inches of Mak loveliness :-)

Hi Helen,

Have you had anymore luck using the Mak?  I had great clear skies last night and gave it a bash.  Report below!

Ok, after all my who ha about my new Mak 180 pro (including a brief look at Jup through clouds) I finally got it out tonight for a full first light test. While waiting for the moon and Jupiter to come into my FoV I targeted Rigel, some of M45 and the Orion Neb. 
On adjusting focus on Rigel I couldn't get that razor sharp focus that I can with my ED80. In fact no where near. So I tried another few bright stars higher up from horizon including some of M45. Again focus wasn't at all what I expected. I have heard so much about the mak and how it's very near to an APO so I was a little surprised. At the start of the session (and it was very frosty!) for a period of around 10 - 15 mins I realised I had forgotten the dew shield. Perhaps this was the cause for lack of focus.
As soon as Jupiter came online I locked on. First impression was disappointing as once again I couldn't quite get that sharp focus and the legendary Mak contrast was nowhere near my ED80. This was on the 24mm Baader Hyperion so I tried my SW Click stop zoom. As soon as I went below 18mm all contrast was lost! Not exactly killing planets!
On observing the moon all was well at low mag i.e. 28 - 24mm but on increasing power again contrast left the building.
I must say that I was really looking forward to getting the Mak out as the reviews are fantastic but it's not the experience I'm having. My Q is could all this be as a result of initially not using the dew shield? Or would it be an issue with the scope?
I have looked long and hard at the primary lens and mirror and can see nothing wrong. However, other Mak users are posting great images using Barlow lens etc. when I tried a Barlow contrast disappeared!
Helen can I ask if you have had better luck?
Can anyone else advise as £700 odd quid doesn't grow on trees!
Rick

Archived