Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In praise of the 32mm TeleVue Plossil

Caldwell14

In relation to the OP and posting in praise.
I had a 32mm TV Plossl as my second TV ep.
I was VERY disappointed with the eye relief and would have needed the eye extender, thought that was off at what it cost, so returned to vendor.
That however has not put me off, just made me a bit wiser.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, iPeace said:

I agree. Now that all the glass in mine is pointing in the right direction, I am considering getting an eyeguard extender for it.

Sounds like a good move. I will have to look for one also?

32 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Piero you might be able to soften the remaining cement with Baader Wonder Fluid,
it not only dissolves crud on lenses....  oh yes I speak from experience here on a very locked up old manual camera lens.

Thanks Alan, I will try as you suggest. :) 

Soooooooo....

I'm out with Stanley (the TV-85) and can happily confirm that the 32mm Plossl is a solid performer. Sharp to the edge. I was hoping that it would be to my 24mm Panoptic what my 31mm T5 Nagler was to my 21mm Ethos, sort of, anyway, and I am not disappointed.

It doesn't show a wider field, just a lower magnification, but there's something attractive about having it as an alternative with this scope.

I don't see myself getting any more Plossls soon, but every observer needs one - as I remember reading here recently - and I am happy to have mine.

:happy11:

Good news :icon_biggrin:

I agree with the others about the TV eye extender with this eyepiece. Makes it much nicer to use. I've owned 3 of the 32mm pls over the years but the last time I had one I really noticed the discrepancy between the eyecup height and the eye relief. And once you notice something ..... :rolleyes2:

Just now, John said:

I agree with the others about the TV eye extender with this eyepiece. Makes it much nicer to use. I've owned 3 of the 32mm pls over the years but the last time I had one I really noticed the discrepancy between the eyecup height and the eye relief. And once you notice something ..... :rolleyes2:

Oh yes, that will indeed be incoming very soon.

:grin:

2 minutes ago, John said:

As to the final line, oh how it niggles the heck out of me at least.

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

As to the final line, oh how it niggles the heck out of me at least.

I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does - but it does.  :rolleyes2:

Being used to EPs with shorter eye relief - literally getting your eye in - it's not surprising, but the main thing I feel is that I can't use the eyeguard to block out local light pollution.

:icon_biggrin:

The extender should help, to be continued.

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

The extender should help, to be continued.

Indeed it will. I've even used two of them stacked on 40mms when used with a Binoviewer barlowed because it extends the eyerelief even further.

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

..... but the main thing I feel is that I can't use the eyeguard to block out local light pollution....

I really don't like "hovering" my eye just above an eye cup for the above very practical reason and also because it's just not relaxing. As I move my eye to the eye lens the gentle touch of the eyecup against my eye socket tells me that I'm "on station". Funny how odd not having that feels :rolleyes2:

22 hours ago, Pig said:

100% manual  inspection from a quality perspective is very unreliable and issues will get through. Humans are simply not very good at 100% unless it is for very short time periods or low volumes, even then we get bored or complacent. As long as the retailer takes care of you and puts everything right I find most of us will be ok with it.  

I find the eye placement a little awkward at times with the TV 32mm, other than that it is a lovely eyepiece.

"Human error" is the expression we have for that:icon_biggrin:

Long ER combined with extra SAEP is more challenging than just too long ER, and using only one eye doesn't make it better.:smiley: Anyone experience eye placement difficulty when using a 7x50 binocular with long ER?

Like other soft fittings, an eye cup can be extended neatly with a little imagination. There are too many low eye relief eps on the market at the longer fl end. Nice to have some affordable (relatively) that have long eye relief!

Archived