SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tal100rs... Do I need one?

Just been through this exercise myself , and after much research went for the Tal 100RS over the Evostar ... no regrets whatsoever , it's a beautiful bit of kit ....  :laugh:

Did you compare the two before deciding ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not side by side myself , I trusted the judgement of others who I found had compared them .

I did a quick comparison between it and the ED80 and was very pleased , and the results I'm getting with it for Solar work match the ED80 and are considerably better than those from the ST120 I used to use , though that's probably an unfair test.

Not side by side myself , I trusted the judgement of others who I found had compared them .

I did a quick comparison between it and the ED80 and was very pleased , and the results I'm getting with it for Solar work match the ED80 and are considerably better than those from the ST120 I used to use , though that's probably an unfair test.

Fair enough Steve, I was just curious.

I've owned and used a few TAL's including their flagship TAL 125 Apolar and while they were optically very good I'd not describe any of them as beautiful. Functional and rugged yes, but not beautiful. Fortunately the optical quality makes up for the finish though.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" though  :smiley:

Fair enough Steve, I was just curious.

I've owned and used a few TAL's including their flagship TAL 125 Apolar and while they were optically very good I'd not describe any of them as beautiful. Functional and rugged yes, but not beautiful. Fortunately the optical quality makes up for the finish though.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" though  :smiley:

The finish on TAL scopes seems to be variable, my 100rs seems very well finished, even 3 years on from purchase, but i have heard some can be a little rough at the edges

The finish on TAL scopes seems to be variable, my 100rs seems very well finished, even 3 years on from purchase, but i have heard some can be a little rough at the edges

I think that is very true. The 2 TAL Apolars that I was sent varied greatly. The first was very poorly finished and the 2nd was OK.

It must be a nightmare for dealers - not knowing the state of the scope their customers will get.

It sounds like your just lacking a little motivation,we all have it from time to time.Its often very difficult to muster oneself,when warm and cosy indoors,whilst the sky out there is lovely and clear and of course very cold.

Trouble is then if we don't go out,we feel guilty all night.

By all means get the Frac,i hear they are lovely scopes,but don't expect it to work miracles,and draw you out all the time,but I think it will help.

Mick.

If you say the dob is a bit of a hassle at times to get out, the TAL which will need mounting well with sturdy equatorial or good altaz with pier extension could be no less hassle.

To me a classic grab and go is a small frac. on a small mount even a tripod to be carried out of the house in one hand - pop out to observer in break in clouds on when waiting for pizza to cook !  It will get a lot of use in our climate.  

andrew

"It seems odd referring to the TAL as grab and go"

Yes - it's only grab and go cos my triplet is about ten times heavier and a lot bigger. It's all relative I guess but I now consider a CG5GT to be grab and go since lugging an NEQ6 Pro and a 16" Lightbridge around - which are more like "grab and go to hospital to get your back fixed" lol :grin:

Archived