SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tal100rs... Do I need one?

Afternoon all...

I'm a proud owner of a 10inch Skywatcher dob. Love the thing, I really do though I do find it hard to muster the will power to get it out sometimes when I'm all warm sitting on the sofa.

Although I havent ever looked through one, the Tal100rs has some amazing reviews.. I saw some single frame moon photos posted on the forums a long while back through this scope and they blew my mind. I have been contemplating picking one up since then.

Do you think it will be a worthy piece in my collection? or does the reflector do everything the tal can do and more?

I'm not sure if the desire to own something new and shiny is controlling my judgement.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no harm whatsoever to have a nice refractor in your possession. Refractors are great performers planetary and on stars,clusters.They are usable practically immediately once they are out where with Dob you will have the mirror cooling down period.Not that it is an issue.

A lot of users here have both Dob and refractor scopes.I finally managed to join them by acquiring a rare example of nice Japanese glass and now impatiently waiting for carriers to turn up with that long box :) My intention is to use it for planetary observations,double/variable etc stars and clusters.

And yes i do have a big 14" dob too :D 

don't see how its gonna get you out viewing more by getting a frac?...honestly your dob will take seconds to set up while the tal will take....a few seconds more! I love my frac ....but lets keep that between us....yeh why not go for it :happy7:

Love my Tal..

I'm normally an imager so I don't "look" as often as I should. I got mine originally in the summer to do a PST mod with but I just can't bring myself to cut bits off it! so I've been putting the Tal on a tripod for a quick peek now & again but it's not that stable. However, had some friends staying a couple of weeks ago & I was reorganising the setup so I put it on the mount in the obsy for the first time. Wow what a difference.. We spent all night being amazed at the great contrasty views.

Great on doubles, lunar & the smaller clusters looking like jewels. They had their first wow moment with Jupiter & M42 too. No way I'd let it go.. In fact I'm gonna get it a decent mount of its own now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dob doesn't fit that well in my car. it fits, but it takes effort. would I get better views on planets vs the dob? I hear they fair better with cheaper eyepieces as they aren't as fast.

How does the tal fair for basic imaging? better than my dob I would bet!

The dob doesn't fit that well in my car. it fits, but it takes effort. would I get better views on planets vs the dob? I hear they fair better with cheaper eyepieces as they aren't as fast.

How does the tal fair for basic imaging? better than my dob I would bet!

As far as imaging goes its on my todo list to try some lunar with the DMK. Its too slow to do anything other than Planet/lunar though.

Love my Tal..

I got mine originally in the summer to do a PST mod with but I just can't bring myself to cut bits off it!

Great on doubles, lunar & the smaller clusters looking like jewels. They had their first wow moment with Jupiter & M42 too. No way I'd let it go.. In fact I'm gonna get it a decent mount of its own now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry about cutting it, you do not need to cut much off for the PST conversion and there is more than enough focus to use it normally - get going with the conversion, you will love it.

I have owned my Tal 100rs for 3 years, it still gives me wow moments!

on a good night your dob will outperform the Tal, no contest, on both planets and deepsky, but the Tal has a charm along with very good optics, superb on double stars, good at luna imaging, just an al round nice thing to own and use, but proving hard to find lately

Does anyone actually "need" kit? We just get it anyway :D

Good to have a couple of different options of an evening when picking ones scope for the night......go for it ;)

Summed it up perfectly.

Do I "need" 6 telescopes? (Soon to be 7) No, of course I don't, but I love having and using them :D

I got a Tal 100RS as a half decent grab and go scope, and to give me the option when I don't feel like making the effort to get a larger scope out. So far it's worked perfectly in that role giving lots of terrific views - surprisingly far better than I expected.

My advice .... get one second hand - and if you don't like it sell it on - but my money's on you keeping it. :)

My 10" Moonshane takes me places beyond the reach of my Tal 100rs. 90% of nights the frac is left in its case. But....when the Moon is large I also like using the frac and it makes a gorgeous white light scope with a Herschel Wedge.

I got a Tal 100RS as a half decent grab and go scope, and to give me the option when I don't feel like making the effort to get a larger scope out. So far it's worked perfectly in that role giving lots of terrific views - surprisingly far better than I expected.

My advice .... get one second hand - and if you don't like it sell it on - but my money's on you keeping it. :)

It seems odd referring to the TAL as grab an go, but in truth i use mine as a grab an go scope, but im also happy to use just the TAL for a whole night 

oh...

you guys don't make it easy do you...

I would like a grab n'go but the thought of getting better views out of my dob would likely prevent me from using it..

However, what about eyepieces? Wouldn't the tal be less fussy and perhaps give the edge on planets where I don't need the aperture?

• 1 month later...

im still struggling weather to get a 200p dob or a reflector and cant work out if the dob will be better or the refractor as im really more interested in moon and planet viewing I kind of see a lot of preferences both ways im down to those two or possibly the evostar 120

Archived