Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A quick synopsis on the 18MM ES

Daniel-K

so ive had this ES18MM 82deg for around 2weeks and have manged nearly 2 hours in total with it under reasonable conditions.

First thing you notice about this EP is its weight, i think ES got it just right, then there's its size not overly massive for a 2" ep with such a big FOV but big enough.the scope im using it is a fast F4.5 14" DOB without a coma corrector as with most 2" EP the extension tube is needed to gain focus.

finally when i got the EP in the scope under some stars i was battling the moon so it was only bright objects i tested it on. Lets start with the Eye relief i dont ware glasses and i think its on the border line of being too small for the 82deg FOV  although you do have to get you eye right up to rubber which in itself is very comfy. so what do you see? well when you focus them points of light you get a whopping FOV 82deg is truly huge! @ F4.5 COMA is going to be an issue with most EPs and yes its there in this EP but not much maybe 17% inwards not enough for you to go eeeee this is naff!!

Contrast and star color. this Ep has probably given me the best star colour i have seen through a scope. it creates a lovely dark background in which the colours of the stars just seem to pop out, and the EP handles light scatter very very well

overall rating 8/10 well worth getting one 2nd hand like i did at a good price nearly half the new price. would i buy new? yes i would not many visual scopes go below F5 unless they start going above 10" of Aperture so i think coma would be less of an issue. i have a T2 16MM Nagler waiting in the post office ( wife forgot to get it again!) so when i compare the 2 i may have to part with one to make room for another focal length hopefully the 11mm ES 82deg if its in stock :D

clear skies

Dan

I look forward to your 18mm comparison with the 16mm Nagler.

The 11mm 82 degree Explore Scientific is on my hit list for next year as well.

And the 12mm Delos is the only viable (more expensive) alternative.

Is the TV range worth double the money?

£100 for the 11mm ES (82o)

£260 for the 12mm TV Delos (72o)

Daniel,great to know-I have never seen colour on the nebulas yet,(other than M42-green).The performance on nebula is where EP differences can really show up,not necessarily better or worse-just differing views,which I like.Have you tried it on the Flame neb and Pickerings Wisp?I may order one of these for neb viewing eventhough I have 2 in this range already

M57 is the only nebula i have tried it on because of the clouds ive only had short but sweet sessions with this EP but i look forward to testing against the 16mm Nagler ive just picked up . do you order yours from OPT i know they do great rates on these but cost to much to ship to the UK$51 to ship then import tax :Envy: .

Canada and EU have just entered into a tentative trade agreement which may help consumers,lets hope so.I have ordered from OPT, and others,I just go for the deal,most of these businesses are reputable and offer free shipping.I need a low power EP,but a coma corrector may be required-my 23mm Luminos is VERY good on some neb,good on others-its all about the view to me.The 18mm ES is $149.00 USD,shipped-I would like to try it.When you get a chance to try out your EP's on DSO,in particular nebs,I am most interested to read your reports.

I look forward to your 18mm comparison with the 16mm Nagler.

The 11mm 82 degree Explore Scientific is on my hit list for next year as well.

And the 12mm Delos is the only viable (more expensive) alternative.

Is the TV range worth double the money?

£100 for the 11mm ES (82o)

£260 for the 12mm TV Delos (72o)

Whether slight performance improvements (very slight probably) are worth extra cost is a personal decision. Worth it to some, not to others, I'd have thought.

The 11mm Nagler Type 6 is a more direct alternative option. I think they list at £233 so still a lot more expensive than the ES 11mm 82. I'd expect the optical design of Naglers and the ES 82's will be very similar, as are more of the other 82 degree alternatives around (ie: UWAN / Nirvana etc). 

Isn't it great that there are so many top quality, differing options available.

Personally, I see EP's as somewhat of a lifetime purchase, so opted for any marginal benefits the more expensive eyepieces may provide. In truth though, unless doing a direct side by side comparison, I'm sure I probably wouldn't notice the difference between two similarly spec'd EP's.

I was wondering how the ES 18mm is on nebula for image brightness-most likely very good.EP's in this FL are great as the coma still isn't too bad,but give a great FOV

I had my first chance to look at M42 the Great Nebula in Orion on Friday ( :grin: ), not great as the moon was still up, but still impressive to my eyes through the ES 18mm. Moon considered, it was a good and bright image and the background as dark as I could expect on that night.

As you have said, the field of view is fab.

Cheers

I had my first chance to look at M42 the Great Nebula in Orion on Friday ( :grin: ), not great as the moon was still up, but still impressive to my eyes through the ES 18mm. Moon considered, it was a good and bright image and the background as dark as I could expect on that night.

Cheers

was that with the 200p?

Cheers

Great report of the 18mm ES on M42,Bingevader-if it hanldles the moonlight like this the dark site views are going to be great and I look forward to trying mine and hearing more of your reports as well,thanks

It came as a real surprise! What with the neighbouring houses and trees, I usually have to wait a month after everyone else starts raving about things before they're visible from my back garden. There he was, Orion, stood majestically between our house and next door's. Street lamp just below and the lovely moon, so I didn't think I'd stand much of a chance. But it was the first real chance I've had to take a look at M42 since I had the EP for my birthday at the end of March! I was not disappointed.  My Sister in law described the nebula as looking like a butterfly.  :smiley:

Archived