Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observation Journals

Kirscovitch

Just a quick question. How many of you keep journals of your viewing sessions? I was thinking about starting one but have no clue what essential information I should be jotting down. Aside from my own personal observations what should I be keeping tabs on? I would start with obvious things like time, date, EP I'm using, etc. But what about the less obvious stuff?

Matt,

I keep a notebook nearby to record the date, time, location and sky conditions before each session, then list the objects observed (NGC, IC, etc.), type object, time it was observed, best magnification it appeared under, then a brief description of how it looked. You may want to sketch what you see, also. When I have time later, I will transfer these notes to my computer observing program. I use http://www.skyhound.com/skytools.html

Good luck.

I just rate the seeing and transparency on a scale of 1-5, time , location, scope and ep and then any notes that I feel relevant. Planets I tend to sketch rather than write a long description.  Because I'm a scruffy writer I type up my book - so don't want it to lengthy as I end up spending more time typing up than observing.

I am a lazy git and leave the recording until the next day. I might make quick notes after the session, but sometimes I don't even bother doing that.

In times where I have been a little more detailed it has been very useful to look back and make comparisons.

Record whatever you think will be useful for whoever subsequently reads it (which will probably be only you). I observe DSOs, and at the start of each session I record date and time, general sky conditions (i.e. clear, partly cloudy, calm, gusty, whatever), Sky Quality Meter reading and temperature (which I also get off the meter). For each object I record its name (NGC number), its difficulty rating according to a personal scale I devised, and a description using NGC notation (e.g. "vF, pS, R, lE, * 12 np). Sometimes extra written comments if it's an unusual object or there's anything of note. I occasionally make a sketch if there's something unusual worth illustrating. I keep notes as brief and informative as possible so as not to spend too much time note taking rather than observing. If you think you'll want to read an essay years from now then write an essay.

I use an A4 hardback book designed for watercolour artists (you can get them in Rymans and they don't cost much) - i.e. thick blank pages that don't tear if they dew. I keep my pencil tied to the book so it doesn't get lost in the grass. I keep the book closed when I'm not writing in it, to reduce dewing of pages.

Some time after each session I record the objects I've seen on an Excel spreadsheet - just object name and date of observation. That way I can easily find my notes for any object I've observed (and can also keep a running tally of how far I've got with my long-term observing lists).

The NGC abbreviations are here:

http://www.ngcicproject.org/abbrev.htm

I have an A5 size hardback notebook from Sainsburys. One with an elastic band and a pocket in the back cover like Moleskine notebooks. Other than date and location, I make whatever notes I fancy. Quick sketches of DSO's, notes of transparency, questions, thoughts, I use it to plan a nights observing beforehand, notes from astro lectures, - all sorts. Its private, so I feel I can write whatever I want. I've found writing with a little mechanical pencil, quickly and scruffily out there far better than trying to 'write up' the day after. I think you'll probably find what you want to record as your astro experience progresses. Like so much in amateur astronomy, there are lots of different styles and techniques and preferences - rarely a single best way. Re-reading it reminds me just how far I've come and what I've learned. Along with a similar book of all the funny things my kids say, its one of my most prized possessions!

Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I might lean toward a digital voice recorder for all the basic info. I can verbalize everything and it's basically hands free. I still have one from my ghost hunting days. As for sketching, I probably wont be doing any of that. My handwriting is almost unrecognizable as it is.

Archived