Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Pleiades from Provence

pietervdv

Hello everyone,

Last weekend I have found some time to process one of my images (well the only image...) from my last astro holiday (beginning of October) in Southern France.

Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate much, so nearly all of the data got scrapped.

The plan was to make a 2x2 mosaic of the Pleiades, but the clouds did not seem to agree with that idea...

That explains the odd framing and short exposure, but I will try to finish the mosaic next year.

Exposure was: L 90 min RGB 25 20 25  (5min subs, colour binned 2x2)

CCD: st-8300

Scope: Homebuilt 10" f/3.8 Newtonian

Mount: Mesu200

Taken: October 9th 2013 from Provence

M45%202013%20thumb.jpg

Higher res here:

http://www.astronomie.be/pieter.vandevelde/deepsky/M45%202013%20med.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Best regards,

Pieter

I'm mortified by the performance of the weather this time, Pieter. Sorry!

Lovely result though. The scope is a triumph. It really works on all levels. The thin spider gives the pictures a really classy look. You've proved conclusively that fat vanes aren't necessary.

Olly

Lovely image, Pieter, even though you say the clouds didn't help. Have been admiring your site, too. Some gorgeous stuff there! Do you take that mount on holiday?

Love your home town, BTW!

Steve

Thank you for the kind comments; Yes I took the mount with me; I have it on a Berlebach Planet. It is at the limit of being portable, but the mounting is rock solid.

I'm mortified by the performance of the weather this time, Pieter. Sorry!

Lovely result though. The scope is a triumph. It really works on all levels. The thin spider gives the pictures a really classy look. You've proved conclusively that fat vanes aren't necessary.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I forgive you. :cool:   There is always next time!

regards,

Pieter

Looks lovley, sharp and crisp. And yes the thin bars on that newt definately add a lovely effect. Site looks great as well, really interesting to see how you have progressed both in terms of equipment and processing skills. Really nice to see early efforts side by side with much later advanced stuff.

Looks lovley, sharp and crisp. And yes the thin bars on that newt definately add a lovely effect. Site looks great as well, really interesting to see how you have progressed both in terms of equipment and processing skills. Really nice to see early efforts side by side with much later advanced stuff.

Thanks! I still remember taking my first image of M57, over 10 years ago, with a home modified webcam like it was yesterday.

Still my personal favourite!

Beautiful. I've just spent 5 minutes on the high res searching out the faint fuzzies - there's loads of them!

What's the white diagonal line about a third of the way down near the right hand edge?

That's a meteor, I really need to check a database to find out which one it is. Any ideas?

Best Regards,

Pieter

That's a meteor, I really need to check a database to find out which one it is. Any ideas?

Closest I can find is Asteroid 2000 QS103 which was 'in' the Pleiades in October, but the heading looks different. Very interesting though!

Archived