NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope for planespotting

As this is my first post on this forum, hello everyone.

Recently I became intrested in purchase of telescope for my hobby - RNAV spotting. Till now I used set of binoculars and compact camera, but I am simply tired of results. I have DSLR camera - Nikon D5100, but figured out, that telescope will be much cheaper than proper telephoto lens and I will get better pics too. I asked guys on aviation forum and two scopes were pre-selected.

Skymax 127
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-skywatcher-skymax-127t-tube-assembly-10672-.htm

and

SKYLINER-200
http://www.pulsar-optical.co.uk/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/dobsonians/skyliner-200.html

For now I am a little bit more pulled towards Skyliner, but am not 100% sure. My backyard is obstructed by builldings and trees, and so I'd loose some birds flying just next to my house. From other side, Skymax weights about 5 kg (tube alone) and focusing might be tricky.

What are your opinions on this? Also - what do I need to connect my Nikon to Skyliner? I did look for some fittings, but the cheapest set I could find was about 40 quid, but one friend of mine tells me that he bought his for 6 pounds... Could anyone post me a link to exact product?

Cheers
Tom

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of nearly 40 people who seen this thread nobody is able to point me to a correct mount?  I know that our hobbies vary a little, but it is not said I will not start to explore skies too :D.

Please help!

Probably the better one to go for is the Skyliner. The dobsonian mount will be easy to move around the sky and the eyeypiece / camera will be in a more comfortable position. You will be able to attach the DSLR body directly to the focuser with a t ring ( available at any good camera retailer or online)

Thanks a lot you both!

So it looks like I am nearly there, just have to wait to the end of month and will get my tube :D.

Like I say, there is an option for me to get hooked with stars too - especially that I have relatively dark skies above, used to observe it with binos and my lady really wants to have a look too. The only thing I will need is the knowledge, cause right now I know only what supernova is :D.

Regards
Tom

Hello Tom im not sure what you are trying to capture if its planes in flight then you might want something reasonably lightweight and a focal length of 400-600 mm which would be something like a 70-80mm refractor most have a T ring on the eypiece holder but you may need a 2" spacer too.

Nebula
'
yes, I am going to try and capture planes on the cruising altitudes with that. I have seen a lot of great pics caught with some 8" tubes

u4vy.jpg

Just one example of fine work. I know it might be tricky, but I got some experience with set binos + compact, now I can aim and shoot, even if there is no contrails at all.

Tinker

I considered mak instead, but Skyliner has much better optics and f-number (from what I was told :D). Also holding few kilos in fixed position, even with relatively fast shutter will be a challenge.

But don't think I just read one post and want to buy dob. I spoke quite with few photographers and the longest time to get some practise was one week. I can live with that :D.

I live just under very busy routes to and from the west, between 3 major airports. The pictures I currently get with compact are the biggest abuse to the aviation :D.

Regards

Major..............welcome..........very interesting, I share all three interests,? but I cant see me tracking an airliner steady on my 200P during the Day at High  Altitudes. ( I reside under an airway) I could clearly see "NATO # OTAN"  on E3`s  (@ FL240 in their orbits) using  Hellios  Steller  20x80 Binoculars that I used to own,  and I can follow satelites on the 200P (their fast) but I dont need smoothness in movement, I just need to keep up.  Ive a d5000 myself, so I`ll be watching this thread. You`d need two hands on the scope/friction handles during  tracking and the use of a remote(Nikon or Clone). i`ll keep an eye on your thread, see how it progresses?

Alien
I have no idea how it looks like with mak, as I didn't use it, just have to say that some guys with these tubes put to shame all my efforts and pictures.

Charic
thanks for the welcome :D. I can clearly see planes with my binos too (Kenko 16x50), but pics are another story... It just does not work long-term and I am seriously tired of results. Just to compare prices - Nikkor 70-300mm VR would cost me about 350 pounds, and it does not give much better results (tested). I still keep having fun, as daily over my house I can spot even 50 and more aircraft, so you get the idea :D. I also am pilot under training (a little extended due to clash with CAA, but that's another story...)  and aviation freak in general. I MUST HAVE gear to take better pics - ie I have seen entire fleet of Belugas, but from my picsw you can barely see their shape :(...

Remote controller will not be a big deal - you can get one for as little as 12 pounds in London Camera Exchange with about 2m of wire :D.

Mounts are another field in which I have no knowledge - but guys I mentioned earlier use them with great effects, so it might be just a matter of time before I get used to that. We will see :D.

Regards

Charic

219 looks cheap, but for some reason I do prefer to get new gear whenever possible - it might be just because I got caucht few times, and as soon as it comes to purchase for value greater than, say 50 quid, I'd rather take new item. I don't want to show that I am rich, I'm not, but in many cases this might be just good saving...

I did test the 300mm lens for only few minutes, and althought finding and tracking with DSLR was a little easier (just a little, I already caught hundreds of planes using digiscoping method...), plane was much bigger on a photo from my compact and still sharp - and photos were taken quickly one after another to make test as close to the true as possible. From what some good photographers told me, even 300mm is way too short for airshows, not to mention RNAV spotting - I have enough "small dots" photographed, don't want more :D.

And most important thing - I have binos already, so when I add telescope, I will have more fun exploring the skies :D. I realised that I know also few constellations, I used to try and photo our moon before and look at the sky through binoculars, and  already started to read some basics about astronomy - and getting really intrested :D. So I guess in near future I will advance a little and upgrade mount to have some tracking - those astro pics look amazing! :D

Major.......hopefully, the forums will help in your decisions, quite often we have to rely on others, and then find, well, maybe that was not for me? Try before you buy. The lens by the way is from Greys Of Westminster, and would arrive with a warranty. I got stung  last Year with lenses, being a dumb tourist. Thought I was onto a bargain with a 28-200mm lens, but somehow traded in two VR lenses. BAD BAD mistake. They would`nt  give my lenses back or my money. (buyer be-ware) however, on return to UK Greys helped me out with replacements. One was better condition that the one I `gave away`?

I know what you mean... Not long ago I was obsessed with 300mm lens and just thanks to forums and following test avoided purchase of Tamron for 130 pounds - without any stabilisation it would have been just a waste of money (well, I do have a tripod, but it is just for experiments, not for plane spotting :D). The VR we are talking about is effective up to about 220mm - the long end is kinda soapy, so it would be better to get 55-200mm instead (I mean price-wise ofc). I will get the 300 anyway as I will need it for next year's RIAT, but telescope is a must now :D - it is just the matter of choice, but think that Skyliner will do it and also will last for relatively long time :D.

We learn entire life time, and it is better to learn from someone else's  mistakes, it's just not always possible :D... Just one thing to remember - NEVER give away your VR lenses :D, unless they are useless (ie broken).

I had an invitation from one guy with 10" dob, but he lives too far away, so no chance. I still have some time, maybe will manage to see the tube before buying.

Major......Funny old thing, I went for a Tamron too, the 18-200, ( but I had Nikons prices still in my head, during the deal, and at the time, saw a bargain, so I  thought and  then duped, wont forget that mistake, I wont be the last to get conned either!) but the mistake had already taken place. In the end, I traded the lens back to the shop in Tenerife ( wouldnt leave the shop till payment) then  went to a more reputable dealership, got the same lens again, with warranty this time? and got the two Nikor zooms when I arrived home, from Greys, and a 35mm as an extra. The Tamron is  quick  for general use, but not good in low light, and of course no VR.

Looks like I`ll need some adaptors then to connect my D500 to my 200P so I`ll start checking this out soon. seems better to invest in a 2"  T-Ring / T-Adaptor. I`m sure one of the adaptors is already part of my focuser. Just need the Nikon specific part. Learn something new every Day

Charic - yeah, have a go and share your results! :D All I can say is that (at least for me) plane spotting is very rewarding and satisfying.

astronymonkey

Thanks for a link. It is long thread tho, and now the cloun under Orion is about to pass, so it will have to wait :D. Just taken my binos out, seen Ursa Major and those nice rows of stars (4 in one, three in another), and also Orion itself and the M42!!!!! What can I say - after all those years of looking at this constellation I never ever imagined that I would see something that beautiful just with binos... (cries into mother's dress). Amazing!!

One thing you will need to keep in mind is that most telescope eyepieces flip the image in one or more axis. Dont be surprised if you see lots of planes flying upside down. :blink:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Archived