Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ EQ6-GT RA Clutch problem

Starflyer

I bought a new AZ EQ6-GT a couple of weeks ago and have a question about the RA clutch.  Mine really struggles to grip unless I really tighten it up, to the point where I'm worried about causing long term damage.  The Dec clutch, by comparison, locks solidly with only a slight turn.

Can any other owners share their experiences with me please?

Cheers,

Ian

Thos is my contribution:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/195481-azeq6-ra-clutch-lever-snapped/?fromsearch=1

I suspect i hadn't fully screwed the lever into the mounting and was putting force through a bit of the thread which was meant to be buried in the housing; or i had a faulty one. Either way, yes, one does need a fair bit of force to get it to catch tightly, but not sure what the solution is.

James

Thanks James, it doesn't look good.  It seems strange to me that it needs so much force to get it to grip, I'm trying to find out if this is normal or if the mount may be faulty.

Any other AZ EQ6-GT users out there?

Thanks again,

Ian

I have that mount and I am aware of what you are saying.  But when I tighten up that clutch I don't have the thought that I might break the lever off.

So when I tighten up the clutch I know that I can still move that postion if I push the scope.  It will move on that clutch.  But it takes quite a push to get it to move.

Otherwise - it holds just fine.  No matter what the scope is pointed. Maybe that is the point.  If you have the clutch tight enough that the scope is held in whatever postion the mount puts it into,  than it should be ok.  Even if you can still move it while the clutch is tightened down.

Try undoing the Phillips head screw holding the lock lever on and removing the lock lever .

Then turn the brass square headed lock shaft ( its threaded at the bottom , inside the mount ) one square 'in' eg. 90 degrees clock wise and refit the lock lever and try the feel , it will lock without as much movement this time , if you still have excess movement ( eg. run out of movement because the lever hits the stop before locking the shaft ) do the job again , but normally only a 90 degree turn in will be enough .

Good luck and let us know how you go .

Brian.

I had to move my lock lever ahead two holes before it would tighten up to the tension I wanted. Now if I move it to the right it loosens the clutch - and if I move it to the left it gets about 2/3 to 3/4 the way across it's throw before it locks nicely with a bit to spare. :)

• 1 year later...

Hey everybody.

Old thread but thought to continue here :)

I'm AZEQ6 user.

Have you got the same, that after a year or so, you had to reposition the leever one or 2 holes to get the same tightness as before?

It seems that those clutches compress in time (especially when tightened all year round as in an obsy) and have to be tightened more in time?

Kind regards, Graem

I've had mine for about 18 months and also had to move the RA clutch locking lever up a hole or two initially however things have settled down now and its remained in its current position for the last 12 months.

Archived