Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what targets for tonight

faulksy

Because of the moon the sky brightness at the moment is NELM 4.5, for me at home this is a full magnitude brighter than with no moon at all so options for targets are few and far between unless you want to split doubles or actually observe the moon! 

Comets get effected by the moon in the same way as DSO's.

An OIII filter works very well on PN's when the moon is up, thats what I'II start with later until the moon has gone.

Jealous!!! I've looked at M42 with my 16" from NELM 6.5 skies and it still looked grey!!  :rolleyes:  :grin:

I look at it from my Mag 7 skies (SQM 21.6) in a 20 inch F4 and it looks monochromatic. Don't panic. I think these greens have been on the absynthe!  :Envy:  :alien:  :icon_mrgreen:  :D  :glasses9:

Olly

Jupiter has a double shadow tonight in the wee hours. First shadow of Io starts at 1am and overtakes the GRS. I'm planning on joining it at 2am.

Love joy would be a nice little find!!! However the moon is to reckoned with...............sorry that sounds more like astrology than astronomy! :)

Picked my Messiers for the night, will probably start again at about 11:00pm:

M78 (Orion)

M79 (Lepus)

M65, M66, M95, M96, M105 (Leo)

M97 (Ursa Major)

M77 (Cetus)

They are the only ones left I haven't observed that I should be able to get around this time. Most of the others are summer ones (low down too) :(.

Picked my Messiers for the night, will probably start again at about 11:00pm:

M78 (Orion)

M79 (Lepus)

M65, M66, M95, M96, M105 (Leo)

M97 (Ursa Major)

M77 (Cetus)

They are the only ones left I haven't observed that I should be able to get around this time. Most of the others are summer ones (low down too) :(.

i will try these tonight with my goto, should have them all framed within an hour lol

Jupiter has a double shadow tonight in the wee hours. First shadow of Io starts at 1am and overtakes the GRS. I'm planning on joining it at 2am.

Love joy would be a nice little find!!! However the moon is to reckoned with...............sorry that sounds more like astrology than astronomy! :)

The moon should be set by around 2ish.  Enjoy the night !

andrew

I'm after a peek at Jupiter too.  It'll be the first time this apparition that I've had the opportunity to get a good look at it.  I can't believe I've had to wait so long.

James

I'm exactly the same James.

Somebody parked Plymouth to the east of me so I don't usually get decent views of Jupiter until its fairly high on the Ecliptic path. I can't/won't/dont do early mornings so I guess I'II see Jupiter after Christmas! :)

I'm exactly the same James.

Somebody parked Plymouth to the east of me so I don't usually get decent views of Jupiter until its fairly high on the Ecliptic path. I can't/won't/dont do early mornings so I guess I'II see Jupiter after Christmas! :)

I reckon I have an hour or so before Jupiter clears the roof.  I don't do early mornings, but late nights aren't so bad :)  I've been really tempted to set the mount up on the other side of the house but there's been no opportunity to align it anyhow, so for the moment I'm better off where I am even though the east is blocked by being closer to the house than I'd really like.

James

Archived