Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser Pointer/Finder

Spacedout

Good result Karl.

I use mine as I said for my initial 3 star alignment.

It allows me to see how far out I am. But it is a fantastic Outreach tool on Club nights for pointing out objects.

Hi Ken, Thank you I was pleased with this one I've not used the MCX on this target before so waited up late to catch it and boy was it worth it :)  The laser worked great too though I need to get one better capable of dealing with our British weather!!

Nice M42 Karl!!

Glad it all seems to be working.

Paul

Cheers Paul, I was looking forward to this one I must say.  This is what I got with a dodgy video signal and a scope dripping with dew so will be chasing this again :grin:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A realignment from inside the office and catching the beast, a successful and warm night I would say Karl :smiley:

Carl 

Thanks Carl, an almost successful night I just need to sort out the poor video signal and buy a better laser and we'll be laughing! 

This is what I'm seeing:

post-28683-0-69637700-1384339505_thumb.j post-28683-0-64618500-1384339511_thumb.j

The image on the right is showing a shadow of the image on the left!  Currently the coax is attached to phono modules in the wall.  I am going to change these to BNC later to see if this will help so fingers crossed.  Failing that I may need to pull it all out and start again!!!!

Regards

Karl

Hi Carl, 

Last night powered them with an DC/AC and 5 way connector for 3 cameras.  Do you think this could be the problem?  I do have a 900 amp battery with a 12V port I could use so I'll give that a bash tonight thank you!

Regards

Karl

It's a possibility one way is to power one of the offending cams off the battery so it's on it's own supply and see if that cures it. There is another issue called a ground loop which can cause problems which you can solve with an isolator. It's all elimination . Keep us updated.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I tried powering two just two cameras with the battery and then one battery and the other DC/AC and still the same issues! I will now look into the ground loop scenario. After that I'll look at redoing the connections with BNC.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Karl

Hi Carl,

I've had a quick look at the isolators and naturally I'm a little lost! Do these work the same as a balun for Cat 5e? By that I mean would I need one at both ends of the cable running from the outside socket to the socket in the office? Is there a specific type for video? Man you just don't stop learning with this hobby my brain is close to EXPLOSION! ;)

Cheers

Karl

Karl as far as I know you just need one per camera. Ground loops usually cause a travelling line running through the picture but have been known to cause "cross talk" they usually advise to use one on each camera. 

They are similar to a Balun as in they are a transformer. Not sure if this is the cause. I would try swapping the camera feeds to different  DVR inputs and see if it effects the other channel numbers.

Maybe worth making a call to a decent CCTV for advice. 

Would like to see it sorted as your close to a brill setup :smiley:

One thing I do find amusing about our sport. To get our pictures we spend a lot of time trying to keep things cold as possible and then trying to keep things warm as possible. All at the same time, darn electronics :grin:

Carl

Just a query - would a common/ cheap red laser do the same job? Presumably you're viewing via an IR sensitive camera on your monitor. Bonus nobody would see the red beam on anything including the sky but you camera would !

Could use a NV device to ckeck beam alignment on the sky :-)

Interesting idea Nytecam and may just work better.  The red laser is not so clear to the human eye but the camera should pick it up a lot better.  The plus side also is that the red laser works better in the cold so one will be on order shortly for testing :)  Thanks

Karl as far as I know you just need one per camera. Ground loops usually cause a travelling line running through the picture but have been known to cause "cross talk" they usually advise to use one on each camera. 

They are similar to a Balun as in they are a transformer. Not sure if this is the cause. I would try swapping the camera feeds to different  DVR inputs and see if it effects the other channel numbers.

Maybe worth making a call to a decent CCTV for advice. 

Would like to see it sorted as your close to a brill setup :smiley:

One thing I do find amusing about our sport. To get our pictures we spend a lot of time trying to keep things cold as possible and then trying to keep things warm as possible. All at the same time, darn electronics :grin:

Carl

Thanks Carl, I'll try and pick a couple up today but it does sound like this is at the very least part of the issue so fingers crossed.  If it all works it will be very nice on the colder nights ahead :)

Thanks

Karl

Okay, I have fitted a ground loop isolator and it has made a big difference.  I have only fitted one for now but both cameras have improved.  The images still have a small amount of interference though so more work to do but much better so thanks Carl!

Regards

Karl

• 3 weeks later...

Just a query - would a common/ cheap red laser do the same job? Presumably you're viewing via an IR sensitive camera on your monitor. Bonus nobody would see the red beam on anything including the sky but you camera would !

Could use a NV device to ckeck beam alignment on the sky :-)

Hi Maurice,

Just checked the new red laser and indeed the camera picks it up!  With my naked eye I can only see the red dot when it is pointed at something or the beam if I blow smoke on it.  If I point it at the sky I get jack diddly.  The camera however is another story.  It is naturally not as bright as the green one but if it works in the cold then I can live with that.  Currently it is in the freezer for further testing :) 

Cheers

Karl

• 3 weeks later...

1. Numpty

Scottish usage:
a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

B) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person
I'll take that as B) then - esp' from someone who was staggered by previous comments, and, although the comment was meant to be humorous, I clearly know the difference between Mega & milli. Although perhaps I should have said vaporised.
I was very interested in the subject matter as I have a green laser which is mounted on my scope. When I first put it on it was fantastic. After setting it and the scope up on the pole star I swung the scope 'til the laser pointed at approximately the position of M31 then looked in the EP and there it was. More recently it has not worked so well and you confirmed that the laser was probably getting weaker due to the cold rather than the light pollution getting worse which was my first thought.

If you find correcting others on their grammar on a public forum humorous then that is your issue.  I personally find it offensive and belittling.  I do have a good sense of humour Ted and if I felt your post was for fun I’d be all for it.  The fact is however, it was not written to read as such and if you think it was then you may have grammar issues of your’ own.   Even in your response you cannot help yourself “I clearly know the difference between Mega & milli”.  Well I clearly know the difference between humor and sarcasm.

In future if you have as you say an interest in the subject then perhaps it may be more appropriate to contribute in some way.  Or if you feel a little joke will work, try to be a little clearer so as not to cause offence.  Even if unintended...

Regards

Karl

Archived