Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser Pointer/Finder

Spacedout

Hello All,

As part of my on-going remote setup project I've just bought a laser pointer normally used on a rifle.  I bought it for two reasons - the wind adjustment and the pressure switch so I could control it from my office.  So far it has proved to be a good buy except for the fact that like most green lasers the darn thing don't like the cold!!  

post-28683-0-79918000-1384212755_thumb.j   post-28683-0-19771100-1384212784_thumb.j

Basically I have attached it to my finder scope with a piece of metal I cut off an old clamp and sprayed up.  I drilled and tapped it to the frame of the finder and it looks like they were meant to be together!  I now adjust the finder scope to line with the main OTA and then using the two fine adjustments on the laser I centre this with the finder scope.  The idea as below is so I can pick this up on the CR6 which is attached to the scope giving me a wider field of view.  I can then use this to star hop if Goto is off or do another alignment but from my office.

post-28683-0-05909700-1384213098_thumb.j  post-28683-0-99721400-1384213155_thumb.j

Last night I got it working using an eyepiece dew heater and two blinkin hand warmers!  Not ideal but it worked.  I'm now looking at spending a little more for one that works in sub zero but for now the warmers will have to do!  If you want one they are on EBay £25 :)

Cheers

Karl

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liking that a lot Karl! Goto accuracy would be my main concern with a remote setup and thats a great way of doing it. 

Boy its getting cold!! What way does it effect the laser, battery issue?

Hows the setup going so far?

Also on a side note a copper vapour laser will sort out any stray street lights :evil:

Carl

Liking that a lot Karl! Goto accuracy would be my main concern with a remote setup and thats a great way of doing it. 

Boy its getting cold!! What way does it effect the laser, battery issue?

Hows the setup going so far?

Also on a side note a copper vapour laser will sort out any stray street lights :evil:

Carl

Hi Carl,

The cold effects the diodes in the laser apparently and more so with the green laser.  However the green laser is (and again I say apparently as I'm no expert) up to 10 times more visible to the human eye.  The idea behind this as mentioned is to try and recreate the view you would get if actually stood behind the scope.  It's not quite that yet but it is still a work in progress!

The set up is getting there but still a way to go.  Currently I plug everything into sockets outside and then with much shorter cables I plug everything like the hand controller, focuser, laser pressure switch, MXC control into sockets under my desk.  I have 3 video in that feed on short leads to the DVR and one out that feeds back to the lounge TV.  I also have a PTZ camera watching the scope that I control from the DVR.  All are working but I am having issues with video signal!  I need to change the connections and try a few things but this could be a big one to sort!  The PTZ also works great but with hindsight I would have bought one with lower lux!  As with everything learning on the job!  Once it's all done I plan to do a thread with more details/images.

Cheers

Karl

Good thread Karl.

I find a laser invaluable.

I use mine when doing my initial 3 star alignment of the mount.

Oh, and for pointing things out by hand to visitors  :grin:

Thanks Ken and yes they are extremely useful and another cool gadget for the boys and their toys :grin:

If I was your neighbour getting "zapped" I would be pretty upset.

Why is that we whine about neighbour's lights yet find it amusing when we treat them to our lasers?

It might be OK in the middle of nowhere in Australia, but here in UK it is a bit anti-social afaic.

If I was your neighbour getting "zapped" I would be pretty upset.

Why is that we whine about neighbour's lights yet find it amusing when we treat them to our lasers?

It might be OK in the middle of nowhere in Australia, but here in UK it is a bit anti-social afaic.

I have NEVER aimed my laser at anyone's house! Why would you accuse me of it?

It is definately NOT OK

I dont think my neighbours would care if i was testing a laser out on the side of their house. Its not like he was pointing it into someones eyes or windows. Unless we are talking about some cool laser gun from the movies that blows stuff up then i don't think anyone would care :)

Chris, my comment is towards bambuko's post of falsly accusing me of something the original poster did.

Not impressed!

I have PM'd bambuko asking for an apology for being accused of something I didn't do, or say.

We shall see what bambuko's character is like, if there is any response.

Yes Chris, Green Lasers are great.

Apart from using mine for aligning my scope for GoTo's I use it on Club nights to show visitors around the sky by pointing out objects. 

It's a thousand times better than saying "see that larger star to the left of those two faint stars" and they all say "no, which ones"  :grin:

Because I have dark sky we see thousands of stars, so star-hopping by sight is almost impossible for newbies and visitors.

The laser pointer is almost essential.

Also, here in Australia we have to have a licence to own a green laser. And in your application you have to supply proof that:

1. you are a full member of an Astronomy Society/Club,

2. That you personally have a need for it in that Society/Club.

Wow, I’m staggered!  The idea of this thread was as with most two pronged:

1 - Show off something I’m working on that I’m quite pleased with

2 - Share with others who may be interested in doing something similar

It would appear however I have started a laser war!

Frankly Sambuca I’m bemused by your negative feedback back and do not see why you felt the need to stick your ore in and spoil the thread!  However as you are so concerned about the grievance or safety of my neighbours I’ll take the time to try and reassure you that no animals, humans or terracotta pots were in fact injured during this test.  If you look again at the picture you will see the laser is pointing at a chimney and at 5 MW highly unlikely to cause any damage.

At 40 years old I like to think that I’m a reasonably responsible person.  I'm also very much aware of the dangers these lasers can cause.  I appreciate my neighbour’s house was not the best place to use for aligning the laser but as I’m surrounded by houses this was my best and highest option for a non-moving target.  I would never aim the thing at a window or near anyone and nor would I use it if an aircraft was nearby.  This is the reason I have a pressure switch.  If I see something close by I simply let go of the switch and off it goes.

Hopefully this explanation will offer some comfort and you’ll now go and spoil someone else thread

Regards

Karl

You guys crack me up...in my neighbourhood they would be glad getting a laser through there windows instead of bricks lol...welcome to my life..pretty mellow now im getting older..

Second thoughts ..just done a family census ..and im still considered crabbit..anti social..nutter that would argue wae his shaddow...told you I had mellowed lol.

.davy

Calm down guys!

Get this thread back on track or you know what will happen.

Karl, I think this is a clever idea but I'm struggling to see the added advantage of a laser? Am I right in thinking you video feed is through the finder or is it a separate feed?

Like the idea karl..dodgy wae the planes..hear there a bit strict on legislation for lasers...hows the dvr working out ..like the cam picking up your rig...what about mounting a wide angle job on the scope in conjunction with main scope /cam any further on...still now joy on this dvr getting picked up...davy

Good stuff Karl!!Thats put to bed. Now back to the important bits :smiley:, you mentioned having signal problems?

Carl

Hi Carl,

Yes the very important issue with signal.  Basically I'm getting lots of interference with a sort of shadow like image of another camera crossing the other moving horizontally!  I rushed this one a bit as I had a week off work and tried to get it all done.  Now that I know more I can see several mistakes I made including not using slightly better cable!  I'm set up now and running some tests so I'll keep you posted thanks :) 

Regards

Karl

Like the idea karl..dodgy wae the planes..hear there a bit strict on legislation for lasers...hows the dvr working out ..like the cam picking up your rig...what about mounting a wide angle job on the scope in conjunction with main scope /cam any further on...still now joy on this dvr getting picked up...davy

HI Davy,

They sent me the upgrade DVR as replacement and this one works fine!  I have one of the CR6 cameras on the cross bar of the scope and it gives an excellent wide field view.  It's like a live Stellarium!  Once it's all set up properly I'll do a new post with the full set up :)

Cheers

Karl

Calm down guys!

Get this thread back on track or you know what will happen.

Karl, I think this is a clever idea but I'm struggling to see the added advantage of a laser? Am I right in thinking you video feed is through the finder or is it a separate feed?

No worries Lee just responding to some unnecessary comments.

The idea of the laser Lee is to help me do an alignment from my office.  If it works the plan is to switch on the laser which I can pick up from the wide field camera mounted to the scope.  This in theory should then tell me where the scope is pointing.  As it happens I have just lost my alignment so I'm actually going to put the theory to the test tonight.  I'll be back later with the results :)

Regards

Karl

Okay, tested and it works!! 

post-28683-0-36511200-1384313466_thumb.j post-28683-0-13856400-1384313673_thumb.j

It was not spot on accurate simply because I had to add several hand warmers to get it working but it was close enough to get the alignment stars in the main OTA camera.

All I had to the then is wait for this beast! 

post-28683-0-67801300-1384313723_thumb.j

M42 @ 14 seconds

Okay now for bed!

Cheers

Karl

Archived