Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Mini EQ Mount - Anyone used one?

Neon

The tripod I'm asking about is here:

Orion Mini EQ Mount

Basically it's an equitorial mount for use on a table with a light 'scope, camera or bins. It also has the option to be mounted on a standard camera tripod, essentially turning it into an EQ1 mount. I'm looking to fit a geared head to my large camera tripod, although most of the decent ones seem to cost £140+

My plan is to get a cheap geared head for trips away that won't break the bank and has a camera type attachment for my 80mm Sentinel and my binoculars. Although long term the plan is a decent EQ5 for astro imaging, in the short term I'm still learning the ropes and take my scope with me to show of the skies to friends and family.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

Seems like a perfectly sensible plan to me - having one tripod that will do the camera, bins and Sentinel that is small enough to pack away on trips away is ideal I reckon.

And its a sensible approach while you are still finding your way round things!

Pity there were no reviews on the site though, would be good to see some actual feedback....

I used to have one.

TBH I never really got on with it that well. But the guy I bought it from got good results on the wide field imaging.

I guess I secrewed up the polar alignment badly :rolleyes:

Ant

Mark,

That looks a good price too. It's available from <a href=http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Mounts_45.html>here</a> for £44.99. I wonder what the shipping would be like from the US and would you get stung with import duty ?

Cheers John. I think Telescope house will be the place to buy it from. Amazon US have one for $45, but at least with the UK supplier I can use paypal (time to sell stuff on ebay!) and not worry about import taxes etc.

My main concern is if my telescope will be too heavy for such a small EQ mount, even if it is on a sturdy tripod. Hopefully somebody will have used one and be able to give me an idea.

Mark

Mark,

I'll be watching with interest. This is the sort of mount I've been looking at for camping etc. At the moment, my 80mm scope is mounted on a very old camera tripod. It works, but tracking anything can be a pain as I have to tighten the locks really hard to prevent wobble.

I've just been looking at these mounts.

The mini EQ is £45

The Drives are £45, so thats £90 for a table top mini EQ mount.

For £129 you can get the driven EQ1. (full length tripod etc)

Ant

Ant,

Thanks, you got me thinking, and looking a bit more. For another £20 more there's <a href=http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=MerlinMultifunctionMount>this</a>. I haven't been able to find any reviews of it though.

Cheers Ant, but I'll probably stick with the unpowered mini (if it's suitable that is). It is tempting to get a brand new powered mount, but storage space is quite critical at the moment and the only issue with my current tripod is its lack of a slo mo head. Ideally a decent powered mount will be on the cards for next winter.

I'll be watching with interest. This is the sort of mount I've been looking at for camping etc. At the moment, my 80mm scope is mounted on a very old camera tripod. It works, but tracking anything can be a pain as I have to tighten the locks really hard to prevent wobble.

I think you're in the same boat as myself John. My tripod is also primarily for cameras, but it's a very sturdy 'scope mount too, unfortunately tracking objects can be fiddly. However, your little Konus would probably be an ideal match for this little EQ mount, particularly if it'll fit a camera tripod. But although my Sentinel is an 80mm short tube it's a bit on the heavy side...

Ant,

Thanks, you got me thinking, and looking a bit more. For another £20 more there's <a href=http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=MerlinMultifunctionMount>this</a>. I haven't been able to find any reviews of it though.

I think Ian Candler has this or something similar for his WO66. He might be able to give you an idea of what to expect.

Ant,

I think this mount is quite new (at least here in the UK). Which could be why there are no reveiws yet. Maybe you could be the first :rolleyes:

Ant

Mark,

Yes you're right.

Ant,

As tempting as that is, and as much as I'd like something like that, at this point, my budget won't quite go that far, been buying a few used ep's and other accessories, but it's something to look at saving for.

Hi Astroscot2,

Thanks for the heads-up, but I'd prefer to chance my arm with an EQ head rather than a Alt Az, just because there's more to learn with one of those. Certainly looks like a bargain though.

Archived