Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fascination with double stars.P

Ay, it's a handy resource and I got it myself a few months back after Nick's recommendation. I think it's well accompanied by Cambridge's Star Atlas of Double Stars, they go well hand in hand. With hindsight, I reckon one could hunt down a good list of one's own doubles to observe from the web but the book does keep things tidy, has an excellent introduction and makes for an suberb reference guide.

I'm a double star fan as well.

As said, they show up well with poor ( as in light polluted ) skies.  I get as much fun chasing double / multiple stars from my town back garden, as I do hunting the faint stuff from a dark site.

If you observe double stars, planets, the moon, then you can do great astronomy from a town, enough to keep us entertained for a lifetime.

I use the Cambridge Double star atlas, plus several other guides and online resources.

Regards, Ed.

Yes its Doubles for me as well. I have the aforementioned books but I now pick out the doubles from a star atlas first and make

drawings and notes of my observations and then compare them to whats written about them in the books and elsewhere on

the net.

Avtar

They are wonderful to look at :smiley:

Do the books tell you the distances between them ?

Don't know about the other books mentioned, but my early edition of the Cambridge Double Star Atlas gives the apparent distance between the stars, the magnitude, RA & DEC, but in most cases unfortunately not the position angle.   Don't know if that omission has been sorted in later print runs.

Position angle link - http://bestdoubles.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/left-is-right-and-right-is-left-a-simple-users-guide-to-pa/

Regards, Ed.

Archived