NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yes I bought a Tasco

Hi all, I've been interested in astronomy all my life and when I saw a telescope in a local second hand store for £29 I could not resist. Now I've seen some pretty serious criticism about 'toy' Tasco scopes but being very short on the folding stuff I figure I'll make the most of what I've got.

There were as few bits missing so when I saw another very similar Tasco on eBay again for £29 (local collection) I snapped it up. So now I have two scopes and I want to take the best bits from each to make one good one.

Scope 1 is a 900x114 Luminova with a gold tube with an eq mount & tripod

Scope 2 is also 900x114 but with a black tube with a combined eq & alt as mount plus clock drive mount, but no tripod legs. This scope seems to be much better quality, the focuser has a much longer travel, the primary mount seems better too.

Unfortunately the tripod legs won't fit on the better (?) Scope 2 mount, but if this is the better set up I'll make some wooden legs.

Can anyone advise which scope parts are I should combine?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi

Welcome to the SGL.

The first scope I bought was. A tasco 114mm newt, I used it for around 12 years and loved it. Yes, it was hardly the finest optical instrument you could buy, and the 0.965" eyepieces that I had were truly dreadful, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Like you I had little "fold" to use on better kit.

Many people say bad scopes put you off, but my tasco didn't, far from it, it encouraged me, and made me wanna see more.

I would make my own tripod legs, they'll be far more sturdy than the original ones anyway.

Hope you get your scope up and running soon, as we say, we

all have to start somewhere, whatever the scope it will show you

more than you could before, put some cross braces on the wooden

legs, use wing nuts and washers to secure them, that will steady the

whole set up.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the welcome words, I have already managed to bag Jupiter which was really encouraging (I could make out the cloud bands but not any colour detail).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Great feeling when you snap up a bargain..first real look through a scope and jupiter was my first and only planet,,thought i had stuff on the lens ,,shurely it dosent look like that i thought,,,lol,,good luck on tripod build,,,davy

Archived