SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10mm Delos Versus 9mm BGO

Pig

Scope:

CPC 9.25

Eyepieces:

10mm Delos 235 x Mag

9mm BGO 261 x Mag

The condition of all the eyepieces is excellent with no marks scratches or dirt.

Target: Jupiter

Conditions were dreamy and the target object was in a great position 60 -70 deg from the horizon

3 x 10 minute periods with each eyepiece.(1 hour in total)

Time started 1am

Exclusions = This review is only about the level of detail seen on Jupiter only, not the FOV as we already know the outcome of that.

10mm Delos,

Very clear round image of the planet,  the centre bands of Jupiter were a clearly defined dark orange and also looked like a pencil line had been drawn on either edge of each band thus making them clearly and individually distinguishable from the main body of the planet. I could also see another band either side of the 2 in the centre, these were paler in comparison and came in and out of view as the atmosphere allowed

The top of Jupiter was clearly separated from the bands and was a purple bluish colour, the bottom was beige in colour and was also clearly separated from the lower band.

9mm BGO

Once again a nice round image. However, I was very disappointed indeed with the detail as I could only just make out the centre bands, I am afraid to say there was no comparison whatsoever with the Delos !!! There was very little detail at all, it was almost like looking at a beige disc with the odd whisper of a band.

I thought this stark difference may have been due to the higher magnification of the BGO so I put my 8mm Delos in (293 x mag ) to see if this suffered the same, it didn't, I could once again see clear banding around the planet. Not as good as the 10mm but it was a great view all the same.

One can always discuss the difference in cost of the eyepieces and this would be fair point to make.

I will do another review on the Moon as soon as it is out again as this will probably be an equally favourable target for both eyepieces.

So 1- 0 to the Delos at this time.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Gerry.

They are pretty special but very expensive all the same :smiley:

Its turned out to be a great night, I am happy that it was worth sleeping most of the day in preparation.  

I even go to see Mars for the first time also :grin:

nice report Shaun,thats quite a big seeing difference to my surprise.I knew Delos will put up a good fight and are highly regarded eye piece,but according to your report,seems that Delos just wiped BGO off the surface.Also to consider:Delos will have much better eye relief as the ortho,for sure much easier to use too,but the price difference will also come into count. Still,very surprised that there was such a big difference.

Looking forward to your next try on the moon.

Clear skies.

I'm a Delos fan also, 6, 8, 12 and 17. Others are Nagler 31 and 9, plus Panoptic 35 and 24 and a few ES's. But I haven't made many personal comparisons, just read a lot of reports and opinions. My scope is a 925 Edge, and the views with these EP's are sharp over the whole FOV. But being in Florida, the sky isn't often clear, and the seeing isn't often steady.

Hal

Very interesting report Shaun - thanks for posting it  :smiley:

I'm surprised at the result but you took your time and did it in a systematic way so it's valuable feedback.

The only partial explanation I can think of is that the extra magnification of the BGO 9mm was just too much for the seeing conditions but the effect of this is usually more subtle and the difference was only 10% additional power so I don't think that would explain it all away and you did try the 8mm Delos to test this out.

I'm surprised at the result but you took your time and did it in a systematic way so it's valuable feedback.

The only partial explanation I can think of is that the extra magnification of the BGO 9mm was just too much for the seeing conditions but the effect of this is usually more subtle and the difference was only 10% additional power so I don't think that would explain it all away and you did try the 8mm Delos to test this out.

plus he used the 8mm delos which gave him 33x more again than the bgo and it was still better than the bgo. does any body want to by some bgo,s :grin:

Scope:

CPC 9.25

Eyepieces:

10mm Delos 235 x Mag

9mm BGO 261 x Mag

The condition of all the eyepieces is excellent with no marks scratches or dirt.

Target: Jupiter

Conditions were dreamy and the target object was in a great position 60 -70 deg from the horizon

3 x 10 minute periods with each eyepiece.(1 hour in total)

Time started 1am

Exclusions = This review is only about the level of detail seen on Jupiter only, not the FOV as we already know the outcome of that.

10mm Delos,

Very clear round image of the planet,  the centre bands of Jupiter were a clearly defined dark orange and also looked like a pencil line had been drawn on either edge of each band thus making them clearly and individually distinguishable from the main body of the planet. I could also see another band either side of the 2 in the centre, these were paler in comparison and came in and out of view as the atmosphere allowed

The top of Jupiter was clearly separated from the bands and was a purple bluish colour, the bottom was beige in colour and was also clearly separated from the lower band.

9mm BGO

Once again a nice round image. However, I was very disappointed indeed with the detail as I could only just make out the centre bands, I am afraid to say there was no comparison whatsoever with the Delos !!! There was very little detail at all, it was almost like looking at a beige disc with the odd whisper of a band.

I thought this stark difference may have been due to the higher magnification of the BGO so I put my 8mm Delos in (293 x mag ) to see if this suffered the same, it didn't, I could once again see clear banding around the planet. Not as good as the 10mm but it was a great view all the same.

One can always discuss the difference in cost of the eyepieces and this would be fair point to make.

I will do another review on the Moon as soon as it is out again as this will probably be an equally favourable target for both eyepieces.

So 1- 0 to the Delos at this time.

I hate you for this piggy, now I have to buy some more deloses,lol. nice simple review shaun :grin:  :grin:

faulksy,if you want to sell your BGo`s,i will take them any day and any time!

I had to sell mines due to RL issues,but its sorted now and i would love to have them again :D

thats why a corner of my EP case is empty.

you can have the 3 of them for a 10mm delos or swop for your ethos :grin:  :grin:

sorry shaun its your post just having a laugh, sorry admin this isn't a for sale thread :police:

Thank you guys for your comments :smiley:

Bit of a late night one last night but it was well worth it and I managed to get a good 4 hours at the eyepiece (in between coffees :smiley:)

I was a little surprised myself TBH I thought the differences would have been slighter, but hey life is full of surprises.

I was hoping to catch a view of ISON but I had no joy even though I am sure I was in the correct area. :grin:

Thank you guys for your comments :smiley:

Bit of a late night one last night but it was well worth it and I managed to get a good 4 hours at the eyepiece (in between coffees :smiley:)

I was a little surprised myself TBH I thought the differences would have been slighter, but hey life is full of surprises.

I was hoping to catch a view of ISON but I had no joy even though I am sure I was in the correct area. :grin:

very nice review shaun, very very surprised though to be honest

nice report Shaun,thats quite a big seeing difference to my surprise.I knew Delos will put up a good fight and are highly regarded eye piece,but according to your report,seems that Delos just wiped BGO off the surface.Also to consider:Delos will have much better eye relief as the ortho,for sure much easier to use too,but the price difference will also come into count. Still,very surprised that there was such a big difference.

Looking forward to your next try on the moon.

Clear skies.

The detail was great on Jupiter and toward the end of my session it was very high up (about 5am) I am sure all these factors were contributors :smiley:  Not wanting to take anything away from the Delos they performed superb. :smiley:

The 31mm Nagler is also excellent the Orion nebula looked absolutely fantastic through it again last night :smiley:

John,

I agree and think the 9mm may have been on the edge of its limits for the seeing even with the 8mm findings :smiley: I find Jupiter to be a very fickle planet at the bet of times.

I think I remember you saying the more expensive eyepieces come into their own as the seeing gets better, last night was a very good seeing and this too will be a factor.

I will give it a shot on the Moon where I am sure it will come into its own.

I'm a Delos fan also, 6, 8, 12 and 17. Others are Nagler 31 and 9, plus Panoptic 35 and 24 and a few ES's. But I haven't made many personal comparisons, just read a lot of reports and opinions. My scope is a 925 Edge, and the views with these EP's are sharp over the whole FOV. But being in Florida, the sky isn't often clear, and the seeing isn't often steady.

Hal

Hiya Hal,

If I had to choose a favourite its the 17.3mm it works so well at 135 x  mag :smiley: however it is a difficult choice to make.

Nice report - thanks for doing that!

Odd the BGO wasn't performing as expected, though...

As the conditions were 'dreamy', was the seeing steady?

Yes I don't think the conditions were a handicap to performance even the wind had dropped :smiley:

Nice report Shaun, maybe those Delos's are even better than I keep telling everyone. I can see myself buying more of them.

Alan

Alan I truly believe they are. If the rest of the TV range perform in a similar fashion then TV have got it spot on :grin:

there been a lot of great reports from observers around the world that Delos range have been absolutely fantastic.

Looking forward to your next test on the moon.

And nope, my Ethos is a keeper.If i do decide to go for any swaps,then it is going to be the ES`s not the TV. :)

Yes they are certainly splendid to look through and very comfortable. :smiley:

I wouldn't swap it either if I was you :smiley:

Archived