NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar vs. Dobsonian - NEWBIE

DISCLAIMER: I’m a newbie so please bear with me

I have always had an interest in astronomy but never pursued it, especially living in a BIG city. This time last year I went to a local astronomy club meeting. Afterwards they had some scopes set up outside for me to view.    WOW !!!!!!! was my first thought.   I believe my first site was either Jupiter or Saturn.

There were some tripod mounted scopes and an orion dobsonian (10” I think).  I was drawn to the dobsonian

Unfortunately, due to life getting in the way I had to postpone my astronomy interests.  Then came the summer, which probably isn’t the best time to view (dark after 9pm and HIGH humidity where I live here in the south).

So I’m back to pursuing this again.  Turns out I have some of those credit card reward points built up.  For the amount I have and the selection they have, I could either get a Celestron 4SE, 5SE or possibly 6SE.  The other option would be to convert them to universal visa gift cards (think I have $500 worth).

So, do I go with one of the Celestron’s mentioned above?  Or do I go with a dobsonian – which if so, do I go with 6,8 or 10” and do I get a GOTO model? (the one I used last year I think was a push to).

I’m not sure if I want to focus on plants, DSO, or other?  I don’t know at this time if I would like to do any astrophotography or not.

Can anyone help sift through all the specs to figure out which one to get?  I keep hearing about focal lengths, aperture, tube length, eye pieces, reflector/refractor etc etc.  It is all very confusing.

I appreciate any and all help, comments, hints, suggestions, links to documentation etc

THANKS!!!

I would make the universal recommendation to seriously consider a 8" Dobsonian. If you can run to the extra expense then the 8" Orion Intelliscope will provide you with an excellent means for finding objects, I have one and it's great.  :smiley:

Thanks, appreciate it...

If I do go with a dobsonian, should I get the Push-To or Go-To?   Would 8" be sufficient?  I don't know if I could go (price wise) to a 10 or 12"

Stupid question but;   Is Intelliscope the Push-To?   I believe I got some hands on with a Push-To and it worked well. But (and a big but) if I decide to do any photography, a Push-To would not track as the object move, thus hard to photograph.  Thats why I was looking at the Orion XT8g

Thoughts...

I agree Peter. The 200mm (8") Dob is the universal choice of a great scope. It depends on budget and how you want to approach astronomy. Do you want to find objects under your own steam or let technology do that for you?.

Nether the Nexstar range or a Dob will allow you to do much imaging. For that you need an EQ mount. 

The general rule of thumb with scopes is go for the biggest aperture you can get without breaking the bank and it has to be portable for you.

The choice between push to and goto depends how well you know the night sky and what you really want.

I'm happy using both because i know the night sky like the back of my hand for 6 months of the year. During the late spring/summer if i do any observing............i'll use Go-To. Im happy to to use a scope as push to in autumn/winter.

As a starter in this hobby I would forget about imaging. The requirements for visual and imaging are completely different. 

Can you not visit your local Astro Society for some more hands on experience? An evening speaking to the members and having a look at what they use together with the views you get from the different scopes will give you more information than any amount of reading and searching the web.

By all means ask questions and the members here will give great advice but nothing beats hands on experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

DeputyDawg........ A BST Starguider/Explorer 8mm lens on a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P/Dob will do you proud and will be good value, and using a starmap book or the FREE Stellarium software, is all you need for general observation. Should you decide to get something else in the future, the 200P would re-sell no problem.

I have had both a 4se goto and a 200p Skywatcher Dob ,I used the Celestron twice . I discovered that most of the time I only observe for between 45  to 60 mins , it probably takes 15 minuets to set up the goto if you get an alignment first go and for me that reduced my observing time. Another shock was that the goto took the fun out of searching and the thrill of finding the object.

If you decide to do photography then you need to look at totally different gear.

If you store your scope inside the 4se will allso take longer than the Dob to cool.

My advice would be get a 8-10" Dob (push to) and if you decide its not for you they hold the price quite well. But you will love it  :grin:

Personally I really like my Celestron Omni CG-4 mount, it can take a variety of medium scopes and could be used for photography if I wanted.  My most-used scope on it at the moment is the Skywatcher 150P reflector, because it's light and very easy to get going with, I hardly bother to let it cool and it doesn't need dew heaters (just a dew shield), though after my last session I'm considering a Telrad as the supplied 6x30 finder kept dewing up.

This would be more expensive than a Dob mount for the same scope, but it opens up more possibilities.

I have the 6SE and it is a good scope. Easy enough to set up. Even on a 2 star align it tracks well.

An 8'' Dob would have more light gathering power and fainter DSO would be within grasp.

I believe even with a goto Dob it can still be used as a push to, someone correct me if I am wrong. That would make it so simple to set up and get going. Especially on those nights of scudding clouds obscuring your set up stars.

Orion and skywatcher dobs with go to can be used as manual scopes too.you do not need to do the star alignment if you can find the target yourself.for short observation sessions that's what I have been doing all the time.you can still use the controller to slew the scope or alternatively do everything manually

Another + for the Dob Mob....

The 6SE can still be set to follow but you have to slew to the object manualy and then set the right tracking rate. No push to....unless you want to push the whole shebang over ....

Archived