NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lots of Spots! Sun in White Light - 29th Oct

ArmyAirForce

It was a nice display today. I took quite a few close ups with either a x3 Meade of x2 TAL barlow. I'm busy processing them now, and then heading back out again later to have a go at Neptune, Uranus and the double shadow transit on Jupiter.

Excellent image of a very spotty sun - exceptional clarity and detail here and a great treat to see so much going on over the disk.    Is this taken with the 200PDS, if so how are you filtering and using an aperture mask?

Yes, it's the 200PDS with this home made Baader filter.

scope7.jpg

Thanks Stephen - I guess that's giving you about about 20% of the aperture.    I will definitely have to give this a go as it looks like I could do this with an A5 sheet of the Baader solar nd5 - though it might be better for me to double this up (2 layers).

The QHY will be too small a fov for full disk, though I could get some close ups of sun spot groups - but otherwise will have to wait until I get a 350/450D.

Definitely worth having a go - thanks for the steer.

You should be having a good night for the planets tonight? Just walked back from the pub and it is crystal clear here. I am having a slight break in night time until my obs is finished, unless it drags on much longer, in which case it is back to my pier and EQ6.

Robin

The Solar filter is about 95mm diameter which was the largest aperture possible while clearing the secondary and its supports.

It's very clear out, but seeing is poor. The Jetstream isn't very kind tonight. Jupiter was like a jelly on a plate. Just brought the laptop in to download the AVI's then I'll be back out later for the GRS.

Thanks Stephen, I shall definitely have a go with making a similar filter and seeing what I activity I can capture.

Seeing and transparency are good so far tonight, so hope to have a go at Jupiter myself later on when it clears to the E/SE of my obs - though I can't play too late as work tomorrow.   One serious go at 4.2m if the seeing permits.

Stephen,

Did you ge anything from last night? My night time camera certainly looked clear all night, check it out at www.drrobin.co.uk/Nightskycamera2.htm but be quick it over writes every night. I did save a copy from last night and hope to post as a video and/or star trails later.

Robin

I got a lot of AVI's. Early evening for the double transit, the seeing was very poor. It got better by the time of the GRS transit. Processed some today, but having an accounts night ( boring ) so will have to wait before I can continue! Some of the GRS shots look reasonable. Shadow transit can be seen, but very indistinct.

Ah a very important task, got to keep the money flowing in. I was looking through your website last night, quite a range of skills.

I have just noticed it is clear over head and the Auroral oval seems to be hoting up, might have a look out later. To see the current sky and Aurora activity see www.drrobin.co.uk

Robin

• 1 month later...

Archived