Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice seeked for upgrading my astro photo equipment

Hi all

I am looking at spending around £1000 to £1500 on updating my equipment for photos :). I would like any advice you may have on how I can best improve on my setup currently.

I run

Skywatcher 250 Skyliner (i.e was white and black and came with the dobsonian base) F5 scope 1200mm focal length

NEQ6 EQ Mount

Eqmod and laptop control

DSLR 550D unmodded.

I have got some great photos with this but now have itchy feet for better camera setup :).

I am looking at the Skywatcher ST80 scope to use as a guide scope in piggyback formation.

I would like to know a good camera to use for the auto guiding preferably using the PHD software rather than standalone. And which CCD camera would be best to purchase in this price point for the main photos. I'm thinking mono is probably a better option.

Thanks in advance guys

Regards

Mike

I'm certainly no expert in the area. I've justed moved from dslr to CCD myself. You'll soon find your budget of £1500 will soon disappear. Youve already worked out you need a guide cam. Don't forget that if you go for a mono CCD (which you should) you'll also need a set of filters and a filter wheel. These are not cheap! My advice would be to keep your eye on the second hand market. You should be able to pick up what you need for around your budget.

Hi all

I am looking at spending around £1000 to £1500 on updating my equipment for photos :). I would like any advice you may have on how I can best improve on my setup currently.

I run

Skywatcher 250 Skyliner (i.e was white and black and came with the dobsonian base) F5 scope 1200mm focal length

NEQ6 EQ Mount

Eqmod and laptop control

DSLR 550D unmodded.

I have got some great photos with this but now have itchy feet for better camera setup  :).

I am looking at the Skywatcher ST80 scope to use as a guide scope in piggyback formation.

I would like to know a good camera to use for the auto guiding preferably using the PHD software rather than standalone. And which CCD camera would be best to purchase in this price point for the main photos. I'm thinking mono is probably a better option.

Thanks in advance guys

Regards

Mike

Hi  Mike,

Unless you intend to change your telescope for a widefield imaging one then  with a focal length of 1200mm you'd need a pretty large sensor to get a decent  FOV. Many planetary nebulea though faint, are quite large in comparison to the planets or even the Moon and a CCD with a large sensor from one of the more respected names is quite an expensive proposition. You could however, go for a QHY8L osc with a dslr size sensor for about £900.00 if osc imaging is what you have in mind but a mono sensor such as the Atik 383L plus the filter wheel and the LRGB filters will cost you around £2160.00+ . This does not include the cost of the guiding hardware and with 1200 mm of FL you'd need a very robust set up to guide with.

A.G

I use a finder guider and a QHY5 - it works well for guiding and I get 30 minute subs without hitch. Guiding will be the biggest improvement you will see for your images without a doubt. But .... your scope is a long focal length and generally for that focal length people feel that an OAG is better and will give you superior guiding. Perhaps a smaller refractor would be a good choice? I know that sounds counter productive, but the ED80 is a great scope that many use to excellent effect.

Have you looked at a field of view calculator to get a feel for what different CCD chips would offer you? Have a look here http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php and you can get a feel for the field of view you would get with any camera scope combo. While galaxies do tend to be on the small side, nebula's tend to be rather large and so your scope would not be ideally suited to these.

Hope that helps a little.

Guiding is one of the most importart things for you to do to improve your pictures.  Look for a used ST80 and QHY5.  You should be able to pick them up for £200 all in.  I would save the rest of the money for a bit until you get familar with the guiding.  Then after that I would look into a quality used refractor and maybe a used Atik 314L with the remaining money.

I'm in the same boat as you but my cash is smaller, although I already have my scopes. I'll use my Ikharus for my guide scope mounted on my Skywatcher, or Orion (when I get more experienced), and the same QHY5 as my guide Camera.

I have a Tru Tek filterwheel so now just need a good beginners camera. DSLR wise I have a Canon 350D and a Sony Alpha 100 both are unmodified and to be honest don't really want to go that route anyway. So, I've decided on the Atik Titan mono. At around £475, that to me represents good value for money as a starter camera which, when I upgrade will make an excellent replacement to the QHY5 as a guide camera. 

A 10 inch Newt on an EQ6 is not the easiest way to get results but it can be done. Like Sara, I'm a small refractor enthusiast on the grounds of productivity over problem solving. You do, of course, need to guide. I've only used top quality guide cams ('ark at me!!!) but the QHY comes well recommended and should work well. An OAG is the theoritical choice for reflectors but, again, I'm a pragmatist so a guidescope might work for you.

In terms of CCD, when the time comes, I like Atik because you get high end performance and reliability at medium price. I consider that a bargain. I do not believe that high end performance and reliability are available at budget prices at the moment.

Olly

Archived