Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which to buy! 4.7 or 6mm Delos ?

kenny k

Hi folks,Looking to add to my 10mm Delos a high power for planets.

Wondering if x255 in my 250pds would be pushin our average skies "in Manchester anyway"I have a 6mm plossl so know what the x200 views gives but cant help wanting more:)

Anyone using the 4.7 delos in samé scope, id be intetested in your comments please.

I would also be using this in my equinox 80 also.

Thanks

Kenny.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Pentax XW7 and it does get used in my 8" F/10 scope at 290x, but only on nights of good seeing. The 8mm (254x) and the 8.5mm (234x) get used more frequently. I do notice that if I am patient at the EP, and wait for moments of good seeing, I can get very good results on Jupiter with the XW7 at 290x, even on otherwise mediocre nights. At one point I had replaced my two Vixen LVs (7 and 9mm) by Radians at 8 and 10mm. I started to miss my 7mm. I used the 14mm with 2x TeleXtender instead, but ultimately I got a 7mm XW when one came up secondhand.

My 12mm Delos works fine on Jupiter at 195X in my scope but I think you may be pushing it a tad even at 6mm. (250X)

Your scope is an F6 and faster than my F10 and I am not sure how this will effect what you see, in addition you also have a bit more aperture in your favour. :smiley:

We have a 4.7mm (also f/6) on standby...but still haven't gotten to use it in 6 months. But winter looks promising for better seeing and transparency. Thus far in 8 months, rare have been the nights that we can even Barlow (1.5x) our 11mm for planets. Planetary nebulae and globulars will hold up better around 250x, but these are about it with our prevailing conditions. But yeah, we just had to have the 4.7mm for 400x and 600x to be ready for those nights/objects that will let us get everything out of our scope. However, given how rarely it'd get used, we felt no compunction whatsoever to spend all that money on the best EP, hence our choice of the ESES 82 degree line.

Thanks michael,i know i could push it further on good nights,i have 1.6 antares with my 10mm but prefer nót to use .Ive never looked thru the vixen but maybe get chance ať Galloway Sp in a couple of weeks.

Thanks also Pig, my scope is F4.7 and 6mm gives me x 200 in my 10 newt.Would a faster f/number make a difference with higher mag.

Thanks

Kenny

Kenny

It is in fact 4.5mm so more magnification than you bargained for. I would go with the 6mm as you will also use it more, it's a great eyepiece but they don't like being dropped. I do not use X250 very much and I a sure my sky it darker and cleaner than anywhere near Manchester, I do like the place by the way.

Alan

Thanks michael,i know i could push it further on good nights,i have 1.6 antares with my 10mm but prefer nót to use .Ive never looked thru the vixen but maybe get chance ať Galloway Sp in a couple of weeks.

Thanks also Pig, my scope is F4.7 and 6mm gives me x 200 in my 10 newt.Would a faster f/number make a difference with higher mag.

Thanks

Kenny

200 X should be fine so 6mm sounds the size to get :smiley:

I don't know how "speed versus magnification" affects what you see  :grin: I know it helps AP

One of the more experienced guys could answer the question I'm sure

A few years ago I had a 250mm. I had some cracking views of mars with a 4mm Vixen NLV. I also had a 5mm Radian which rarely got used - I prefered the 4mm. I usually give up if the seeing is poor - I'd rather take advantage of better conditions when they are there :)

I can honestly not recommend a Nagler 3-6mm Zoom more highly.  It'll give you very high 200x - 400x views in your PD-S which will satisfy any urge you have to go extremely high.  

But coupled with that it'll be a simply sublime experience in your ED80 and 130M.

I got one for my grab and go 150p in which is shows 125x - 250x and it more or less lives in the scope.   However it is also used for the moon in my main scope where it shows 275x - 550x!  And I do use it all, believe me.    I am sure it'll also be used on Jupiter as it starts to drift into a better position and also any doubles I may want to split.

I know it's easy to look at the zoom and think 50 degrees isnt wide enough but I personally found that when working at high magnifications I very rarely let a target move from field stop to field stop.  I always nudge the scope to keep the target as close to on axis as I can tolerate nudging.  More or less maintain it dead centre all the time.    On that basis I realised I simply didnt need wide fields at high mag, which is a little counter intuititve perhaps given that narrower fields at high mag means more nudging, but there it is. I dont think peering around inside the eyepiece to keep something is better than nudging a scope to keep a target central.

This should be counted in your running in my opinion.  I got a good deal on mine from telescope house after I haggled a good amount off of the price.

I'm viewing Uranus tonight with the 12" dob. The planets pale blue disk is very crisp and well defined with my 6mm Ethos at 265x so I tried the Fujiyama 4mm ortho. Still a nicely defined planet even at 398x but holding that tiny eyelens with my eye just 3mm above the top of the eyepiece, while manually tracking, was hard work with just a 40 degree FoV. I switched to my 4mm Radian which appeared to match the ortho in all respects but was so much more comfortable to use. Just for fun I stuck the 3mm Radian in the drawtube for 530x and still managed to get a reasonably well defined planetary disk on a scale which I've not seen before with this distant world. 

Jupiter won't really benefit from these really high magnifications of course (it seems best at 250-300x with the 12") but Mars will be fun when it's decently placed :smiley:

John I have been watching Uranus ( I hate saying that, I cant even say Im leaving my self open for the odd wise crack :shocked: ) did you notice and orange colour something circling it ?

I can no longer see it

I wouldn't argue with any of the above, a fine zoom eyepiece very difficult to better. I only say this you don't get much in your hand for the money where a Delos looks a whole lot more.

Alan

A Delos certainly does look more substantial in your hand and in the scope the view at it's magnfiication would better the zoom but beyond that the zoom is so much fun.  It's is so much more than a variable Plossl for me.  The ability to crank the magnfication up while keeping it in focus the entire time coupled with a constant field size makes the experience so diffierent to what I've become used to it's incredibly fun.  It's one of my most treasured eyepieces. I love it as much as the 13 Ethos.  It has to be one of the TeleVue greats; the exceptional eyepieces which transcend the rest of their range such as the likes of the 31T5, 21E, 13E, 10D, 24Pan in my opinion.

Its arrived !

Only cemented the order for this Ep yesterday afternoon and it arrived this afternoon,top marks to Green-witch for service.

Im lovin the design & feel of these Ep's

So sleek and well made.

Thanks for everyones reply & comments.

Kennypost-17547-0-53129700-1383169220_thumb.jpost-17547-0-53525600-1383169468_thumb.jpost-17547-0-23946700-1383169785_thumb.j

Archived