Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open think tank for Micro Observatory

Earl

A full observatory is not doable for me and im really missing it all, so id like to debate if a non permanent as small as possible structure is viable.

While doing this id like to come up with a standard template which other can use too.

The equipment to take into account is:

EQ6, small refractor, OAG, filterwheel and camera. micro free standing pier. Computer

Edit: this is for imaging

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been role away sheds that have been posted on here. I think Olly has one, or had one, at his place. He could post pictures.  It basically a tall box with a roof on it all sitting on wheels. Ones side opens up like a door so that you can just push it back when your out imaging. Some are big enough just to go over the mount and pier while others are big enough to fit the attached scope as well. Some also have a place for the computer as well and you sit at it inside when it is roled away.

Get rid of the idea of an observatory all together. Basically all you need is a cover for your 'scope + kit when it's not in use.

So some sort of wooden box with a removable top (slanted to allow water to drain off) and hinged sides to fold down would be enough.

You could arrange it so that the top keeps the sides in place and that the sides are hinged half-way down, so the footprint doesn't increase.

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to work out how to make the side-joints water tight. :evil:

Thanks for those links, im looking for something at the most half the size of those.

Roll off body is one way, but increases the needed foot print, im considering fliptop roof.

I would think the fliptop would require a bigger foot print than the roll off. You dont have to have the giant wood or concrete structure under it. You could put wheels on the bottom then just roll it to where ever it fits. Unless your pier on the side of a mountain the wheels should be able to roll it anywhere. Especially since it doesnt weigh "much".

I think the first thing to work out is the inner dimensions needed, which is going to be dictated by the mounts parked position.

Which leads to the lowest working height an eq6 can be and still have freedom of movement.

Any thoughts on this?

Having looked at a HEQ5 instead as i only intend to use a small scope I think I can fit it inside a large water but and use another but on top as a lid.

Im going to purchase a But soon to try it out.

I have also considered butting 6 inches of concrete in the bottom of the but to add stability.

I am actually thinking of using one of these as the basis for the build.

350-litre-Magnum-Water-Barrel-in-situ.jp

1200mm tall 780mm diameter at the top.

I doubt the rain water would be all that good for your gear :D  Ha ha ha...

Archived