Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"The Pinwheel" (M101) vs "The Pinwheel" (M33)

Crebles

Hi folks. It seems that both M101 (aka NGC 5457)  AND The Triangulum Galaxy (NGC 598) go by the moniker "The Pinwheel".

A bit confusing for a newb like me.

I reckon The Pinwheel should be reserved for M101, not least as the Triangulum Galaxy already has an informal name ("the Triangulum Galaxy").

What do you think?

M33 should be known as "the great Triangulum spiral" IMO. It's a fantastic sight from dark sites.

M101 is more like a pinwheel owing to its HII regions that do indeed make it appear more like a pinwheel.

Both galaxies, and their southern pinwheel cousin (M83) need dark skies to be seen well.

Talking of galaxy names, I get slightly vexed when I see M31 or the Andromeda Galaxy just referred to as "Andromeda" as in "... I think I spotted Andromeda last night ...". I have to resist pointing out the Andromeda is the constellation rather than the object.

Me being picky I guess .....  :rolleyes2:

I have always found M33 very tricky visually.  M101 in my opinion is easier visually since it is directly overhead from UK in April/May.

M101 is The Pinwheel Galaxy.  M33 is The Great Triangulum Galaxy.  Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

The triangulum galaxy is relatively large and can be picked out with binoculars in sufficiently dark skies. It looks like a big fuzzy blob. M101 is much harder though and it's significantly smaller. M33 also doesn't have a bright core so that makes it tricky to find despite its size.

Well I always knew M101 as the Pinwheel and M33 as, "The Triangulum Galaxy." I found M101 harder to see than M33 which is a piece of the proverbial under proper dark skies. Damn near impossible from London I should imagine - I've only ever seen both under really dark skies in the middle of nowhere.

Just to really confuse things, I have seen M33 referred to as the Whirlpool Galaxy before. As if it needed complicating further...

It should be noted that neither galaxy looks much like a Pinwheel with a 3'' refractor.

DD

ok. balancing out on the side of M101=The Pinwheel, M33=not.  Glad its not just me then. Thanks guys.

ps/ to dick_dangerous: please tell me the Bat Detector in your signature is some kind of Super-viliain gadget....

ok. balancing out on the side of M101=The Pinwheel, M33=not.  Glad its not just me then. Thanks guys.

ps/ to dick_dangerous: please tell me the Bat Detector in your signature is some kind of Super-viliain gadget....

It's better than that, it's for listening to bats echo-locate. It's a bit of a cheat, I borrow one from work from time to time, but I'm hoping my wife gets me one of my very own for my birthday next year.

DD

Archived