Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Middlesbrough.

Johnny Thunder

Hi everyone.

I am (or was) not into looking at the sky, but my daughter got a telescope for Christmas and I think I am getting the bug.

THIS is the model she got.

I have spent a few hours trying to set it up for her, but am having no joy.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that this is just a cheap toy.

Does anyone have any experience of this telescope?

Is it just me not doing things correctly?

Hope you can give me some advice and pointers.

Thank you.

John.

Hello John. Welcome to SGL, and I wish you had joined a bit earlier. That scope for your daughter has a 4" mirror, and is probably just a peice of thin glass with a curve in it. I don't wish to appear harsh, but I have seen more youngsters interest in astronomy destroyed by so called telescopes like this. Toys are Us, should not be selling these things in my opinion. It comes with a range of eyepieces, and a Barlow lens which is a device that basically doubles the power of the telescope whichever eyepiece you use. I think it will probably reduce whatever you are looking at, to a meaningless blob of light. I am so sorry to have to tell you this, but I would be less than responsible if I was to give merit to this toy, when it clearly will probably disappoint your little girl.

You would have been better buying her a pair of binoculars, they would have been much more useful for the whole family.

If the little lady is keen on learning about astronomy, the kindest thing you can do is take that telescope back to the shop and get a refund.

If someone else comes along on this forum and tells me I am callous and cruel, I will maybe feel a little better, because I do feel bad.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the reply Ron.

Don't feel bad mate, I came to the same conclusion after only a couple of hours trying to get a view of Mars.

Like you said, a blob of light.

Could you point me to a website which supplies telescopes, and I can maybe get an idea od quality/prices for various kit.

Thank you.

John.

Welcome to SGL John :rolleyes:.

Basically you can pay whatever you want for kit, I think it may be better to think of a budget and then take it from there. In the mean time, click on the First Light Optics logo at the top of the screen and have a look.

Tony..

Hi. John. I am pleased you are not to upset about my welcome post to you. After I wrote and posted it, my wife and I took the dog for a walk, and I was mulling over what I had said, and while I was comfortable with my general appraisal of the instrument in question, I felt I may have been a little un diplomatic in the way I had presented it to you.

There are of course small telescopes on the market, and just about as many suppliers of these instruments.

I know your daughter is quite young, and therefore her interest may wane in time, but you will know how her intellect is developing more than anyone else will. If she is adamant about a telescope, then I would suggest an instrument in the range of a six inch reflector, or a 3 to 4 inch refracter. The latter two, would not come cheap unfortunately, and therefore you may wish to discard as an option.

A six inch f5 reflecting telescope, is what I would call, and many others would probably agree, an introductory, and very useful instrument.

There are some sellers on SGL here, and you can get in touch with any of them, or all of them, simply to have a talk, and explain your needs, and they will guide you the right way. They certainly will not pressure you into buying anything, and also, you can shop around wherever you like. The three on SGL are very reputable companies, and will give you sound advice.

The three are First Light Optics, Celestron, and Astronomica. You can send Personal Messages to any of them from the site here..

If you need any further help. Just ask. Sorry John, you can find the companies in the Retailers Section on the main board

Cheers Ron.

:rolleyes: Hi John, welcome to SGL, I too have just started looking at the sky, my wife bought me a Meade ETX80 GoTo telescope. In my opinion (for wehat it's worth) is a great little telescope. So far I have looked at lots of stuff. I'm sure the guys on here can advise if it's good or not. It comes with a built in x2 Barlow lense and 2 other eyepieces.

Hope tis helps a fellow beginner. :lol:

Cheers

Bob

Archived