NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet ISON

gkec

I am not suggesting I want to tell anybody how to run a forum but would it be at all possible to have a comet ISON forum?

I say this because there was a huge proliferation of comet PanSTARRS threads which would have been more useful kept in one place.

I notice that there have been several comet ISON threads already.

There is already a comet and special events sub forum within the observing section . I don't know if that helps.

Not really because there is also comets and special events widefield.  And PanSTARRS appeared in other sub forums as well.

There are 176 threads with PanSTARRS in the title with 18 on PanSTARRS and M31.

There is nothing wrong with any of these threads but it at the time it was a bit overwhelming and hard to keep up with.

I did contribute myself but chose a suitable existing thread.

If ISON lives up to its hype in any shape or form then maybe some order needs to be maintained.

But like I say it is just a suggestion.

Its a nice idea, maybe you should contact one of the administrators to discuss the subject. They may not have seen your post :smiley:

I think you'll find they are all seeing. They don't even need scopes :shocked:

I see what you mean, but if you have a ison forum,you may well still end up with multiple threads,however they might be within the same folder as it were.

And still a load of threads in other folders too :laugh:

As already pointed out, there is a section for observing comets and widefield, and one for imaging the same. Even if you created a comet only section you would still get people posting threads about ison in the astro lounge.

Yes, but maybe there are forum tools that can be employed to help.  I would suggest cattle prods but I don't think they would be seen as being family friendly.  Like I say it is a suggestion, how and if it is done is up to the admin/mods as they have to do the work.

It happens when something like this occurs. Everyone wants to share their experience with others, and multiple threads start. No harm in it apart from taking up bandwidth on the SGL server. most same-same threads usually get grouped together under one roof eventually.

To be honest I'm not bothered about having multiple threads...I am not a fan of threads like "The Official Comet ISON thread" etc. they tend to get too big and unwieldy with a combination of comments and images and then you end up with loads of cross postings etc.

But that might just be me.

To be honest I'm not bothered about having multiple threads...I am not a fan of threads like "The Official Comet ISON thread" etc. they tend to get too big and unwieldy with a combination of comments and images and then you end up with loads of cross postings etc.

But that might just be me.

A very fair point. Just enjoy it. If it does turn out to be pretty good (I'm not going any further than that) then there will be all sorts of perspectives on it. From 'Where do I look' to 'My first image' to something spectrographic that I'm not going to even guess at.

If it produces a shed load of threads it'll be because it's worth talking about. Here's to lots of threads :hello2:

A very fair point. Just enjoy it. If it does turn out to be pretty good (I'm not going any further than that) then there will be all sorts of perspectives on it. From 'Where do I look' to 'My first image' to something spectrographic that I'm not going to even guess at.

If it produces a shed load of threads it'll be because it's worth talking about. Here's to lots of threads :hello2:

I do see your point.  But if for example we had all the images in chronological order in one thread we might actually be able to see something more than just nice photos.

But god forbid we actually try to do science.

I do realise that said photos can be submitted to relevant organisations for inclusion in their data sets.

We are not going to set up a board specifically for one comet. If we did that everytime something specific happens we would have hundreds of boards that are used for a short period of time and then never used again.

The http://stargazerslounge.com/forum/53-observing-widefield-special-events-and-comets/ section covers observing comets and the corresponding imaging section is for the images.

Thanks

Ant

I think that's fine - as most people who are interested will search through the differing threads.  You have people posting not just in comets/widefield, astro lounge, imaging and binoculars and you get a good broad selection of comments. 

andrew

Archived