Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cocoon nebula close up

MartinB

1st pic from me for a long time and still not finished.  I remembered I shot 4 Ha subs last July so decided to continue the project last month.  The data was gathered over 4 nights but a lot had to be ditched because of high cloud.  I chopped and changed the guide star which means that the different sub sets are rotated differently.  I need more colour data to sort out the background so it's still a WIP.

Scope: 10" LX200ACF with reducer giving F7

Camera: QSI 532 wsg with SX active optics

Baader Ha and RGB filters

Subs: Ha 12x30mins unbinned,  RGB each 10x3mins binned x2

Captured, calibrated and combined in Maxim.  Finished in PS.  Very interesting to process with the interweaving emission, reflection and dark nebulosity. The Ha was used as the luminence with a bit of blue added for the brighter area of reflection top left.  I need some clear moonless nights to try and get more of the dimmer stuff in the background.

post-148-0-20437800-1382132285_thumb.png

Have to join the throng with this - a stunning work, which is beautiful, extremely rich and sounds very technically challenging.

Though it did make me realise my varifocals are filthy and seem to induce star trails as I scan around the image - will need to watch out for this before discarding some otherwise decent subs of my own!

Thanks everyone!

Have to join the throng with this - a stunning work, which is beautiful, extremely rich and sounds very technically challenging.

Though it did make me realise my varifocals are filthy and seem to induce star trails as I scan around the image - will need to watch out for this before discarding some otherwise decent subs of my own!

There are a few trails esp top right corner.  This was because I had to use a few subs which were less than ideal because the AO unit lost the guide star because of high cloud!  UK imaging, don't you just love it!

Absolutely beautiful, and that's a WIP? Can't wait to see it finished.

The background is a bit of a mess, the stars need some work and I'd like to be able to bring out the reflection nebulosity a bit more.  Just need a couple more hours of colour data I reckon.  Hopefully will manage this before the next target, M1, starts making an appearance at a civilised hour.

Archived