• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started with the Heritage too and still use it as a grab and go, as TractionMan said, just like that.  Owning a bigger scope means it adds to the collection, not supersede the smaller one. Luckily the missus understands that concept too, but I expect if astro stuff starts invading the house she'll have something to say on that :D

My advice to all beginners would be get it right first time .... Buy the best scope u can first time and you will be happy for years to come. I bought the 130 and it was a mistake I should of got the bigger dob straight away bit just for apatite but for simplistic no hassle use it's a winner hands down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That is a nice approach but to a beginner, there is little difference in the view between a 6" and a 12". It is only with experience that the differences become 'obvious'. Whatever you start with, you will want to upgrade. The bigger you start, the bigger the upgrade needs to be to see an improvement. Fine if you can afford it, disappointing if you can't.

Which eye p would you recommend for it fish???

The two supplied eyepieces are not bad , I used BST at first which were ok but now use Baader Hyperions and l like them a lot, with the extension rings you get 4-5 eyepieces for the price of one. First thing to get for any dob though is a 90° finder  :grin: .

What would you suggest ???

Maxvision or BST have been recommended on here by the more experienced members

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197227-first-light-bst-812mm-maxvision-1620mm/

I have the 16mm and 24mm Maxvisions on order for my 200p Dob

The 1200mm focal length and 2.5x Barlow will give 50x / 75x / 125x / 188x magnifications.

A nice choice from 2x eyepieces (£130) and a Revelation 2.5x barlow (£32 + £3 postage)

Aye, I'm not worried; I do find them very good anyway. It's more the "Is this justification to get the 15mm?"

I guess I might want to think about a Telrad or Rigel. And a seat of some form.

FWIW, for open clusters the 15mm is great, It frames a nice amount.  Of course I've got limited choice in my case not having the 12 or 18 to compare.  I'd be very tempted though by this in your situation

http://www.explorescientific.de/maxvision-68deg-okular-16mm-p-25560.html?language=gb

for a similar price and I gather another step up as a better alternative. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've previously owned both of those scopes and I personally think the difference in views is not massive. I live under pretty dark skies and have observed on and off for 20 years.

The difference on M51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy) for example will be that the 8" will typically always appear as two halos with no structure resolved whereas with the 10" and some real patience on a very dark night you will start to get the very slightest 'hint' of spiral structure in the main galaxy. But only on the best nights and with lots of patience under a dark sky. It's only very subtly better a view than the 8" but costs a fair bit more.

The 10" will resolve globulars a bit better and present then a little brighter than the 8" but don't expect miracles. Both will resolve well towards the core on the bigger cluster (even a 6" can resolve M13 quite well) but they will also begin to look quite dim in the 10" scope once you bump up the power to 150x or more.

It takes a jump to 12" to 14" or more to really start to see DSO's with structure and brightness in a more obvious way. With smaller size scopes of 6" to 10" the views are all comparable and observing experience plays more of a role than the actual telescope in teasing out the finer details in that size of scope.

I have previously went from 6" dob (years ago) to 8" dob, and then 10" dob and then back to a NexStar 6SE as I found the 10 wasn't THAT much better a view and wanted GOTO. Anything greater than 10" was out the window for portability. By the way, I've seen more objects with the 6" GOTO than any other scope as it greatly reduces time to look up objects and makes your observing sessions more productive. Family friendly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice to all beginners would be get it right first time .... Buy the best scope u can first time and you will be happy for years to come. I bought the 130 and it was a mistake I should of got the bigger dob straight away bit just for apatite but for simplistic no hassle use it's a winner hands down!

Lol..........You`ll only ever know after you get rid of your first purchase, whether  it was a good or bad buy. 

Only when you read, learn and try before you buy, can you learn, or learn from your mistakes, however, mistakes are just a learning curve.

Lol..........You`ll only ever know after you get rid of your first purchase, whether  it was a good or bad buy. 

Only when you read, learn and try before you buy, can you learn, or learn from your mistakes, however, mistakes are just a learning curve.

Absolutely definitely!

I wouldn't recommend a massive outlay on your first 'scope unless you're absolutely certain about what you want.

As long as it's a reputable 'scope from a reputable dealer and not a department store jobby, there's no "poor" or "wrong" choice. You've got to start learning somewhere. most people don't have much of a notion about what they really want out of the hobby until they've given it a try. I certainly wouldn't want someone laying out for a top of the range AP setup or enormous light bucket without really knowing what they want.

I'd like a bigger dob when I retire, neither of the 'scopes I've had until then will have been considered a mistake.

Cheers

The cheapy 3" scope we own is still good to use as a "grab-and-go" or "Holiday scope"

It's only 5kg fully loaded, so it can be picked up with one hand.

The small aperture means it's OK to observe the brighter objects in the sky.

Lunar craters, Jupiter, Saturn, Andromeda, and globular clusters.

That's plenty.

It also helps me to appreciate the absolute power of the 8" dob.

Archived