Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Capture software for Video Astronomy- which do you use??

Nibor

Im having a nightmare finding one that works on my netbook! Sharpcap crashes all the time, Gstar acts weird and freeezes after a few mins.

The only one i have found that works well on the netbook is the software that came with the Easycap capture card its called Ulead.

Nibor,

Same as for Steve Chambers software 'Desire', Astrosnap is only for Webcams.

I use several. Gstar-ex4, WebcamMax, and Mallincam (Stephans) Software. I like all of them.

I am about to purchase 'Miloslick' as well. It has many handy features like Hot Pixel removal tool, Amp Glow Filtering, Histogram, etc.

I used to use Desire for my Modified ToUcam Webcam, but I don't use that camera any more.

Many thanks for all your replies - I see a weekend of downloading and trialling!!

Ken,

The Miloslick (Mallincam software) looks the business - I really MUST put some pennies into that Mallincam savings Jar!!

However in the meantime there is plenty of fun to be had with what I have now!!

Im having a nightmare finding one that works on my netbook! Sharpcap crashes all the time, Gstar acts weird and freeezes after a few mins.

Had similar problems myself. But my machine is an upgraded PC homebuild and horrible hybrid of WinXP 32bit running on a modern Intel CPU board. Recently I updated the EasyCap driver (from a Ulead CD?) and it now seems to be much more stable? Unfortunately, some of the "EasyCap" dongles / software are of the "Knock-of Nigel" variety I sense. ;)

I use GStar4. Was looking today at "DeepSky Imaging" (to drive DeepSkyStacker) - The Trial version.

But the former doesn't seem THAT much better than GStar4 - Even if it integrates stacking directly? :) 

Oh Dear!! - now I need a jar to save up for a Mac to go with the Mallincam jar I have just started!!! 

The live filtering is pretty impressive!!! - I have discovered that the software that came with the PD1 kit also allows this to some extent but it is very clunky to use - there is a snapshot on the link below:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/197240-phil-dyer-astro-camera-images/

(5th night sky image down)

I am sure the settings  can be played around with some more but  http://www.pangeasoft.net/astro/ looks to have really gone to town with their filter system.

I wonder if other capture software has similar features buried in the device settings menu.

Archived