Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cannon EOS 700D

NIGHTBOY

Rob63, I have recently acquired a 700D myself, loving it, still exploring it but found a search icon when you use LiveView (I think it's called) - when you patch the viewfinder through to the touch screen.  That behaves remarkably like a digital zoom, but the few pix I took this way were not digitally zoomed.  So whether it's just to help you explore the image I don't know, if so it's a remarkably fiddly way of doing it.  Just as likely to be me having missed a critical step - not a keen user of digital zoom usually.

While I'm on, and in the hope that people are still following this, this might be a totally newbie question but when people above are talking about using DSLRs for astrophotography, do you mean using the camera "neat", eg on a tripod pointing to the sky, or have you hooked it up to your telescope somehow?

Would love to know

Satsuma

Some methods you can use with DSLRs.

One is prime focus, dslr attached directly to scope via a t-ring and mounted on a tracking mount.

No camera lens is used.

DSLR used with a normal camera lens and fixed to a tracking mount.

Eyepiece projection......DSLR attached to eyepiece with a t-ring, no camera lens is used.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 700d (t5i)

I'm still a beginner with astrophotography and i think you can get very good results using it, specially for DSO.

For the moment i'm using it just fixing it to the virtuoso mount and pointing to the sky, as for planetary imaging i'm still waiting for my t ring to arrive so i can attach it to my 114mm.

i was reading yesterday about magic lantern(a custom firmware for canon dslr) and movie crop modes, and found some interested things, but was left with a doubt, does the crop modes work only with the 5d? it is very interesting.

There is an open source package that goes by the unfortunate name GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) which I think is available for both PC and Mac.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of PS and is just as fiddly to get your head around but it is free!

http://www.gimp.org/

Chris

You can also download the beta version of Nikon Capture NX-D.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what ML 3x crop is or how it represents the pixels.

For very best imaging you really want to get as close as possible to 1:1 pixel ratio.

There are two ways that definately do that.....

True Movie Crop mode and recording 5x Liveview.

The only way to findout if any mode is 1:1 is to compare a single full sensor shot with a frame

from the movie mode being used.........overlay them in Photoshop to see if they line up.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

This is a very helpful thread as I am upgrading to a 700D. I'm not quite ready to go for a modded camera yet as I do all kinds of other photography too and will only have the one camera. However, I read the information for both the 600D and the 700D and didn't see much of a difference between them and I finally opted for the 700D because I found it at a better price.

I do have one question that I hope someone here can answer. Does the 700D have the same ability to tether to a computer and be controlled remotely as other Canon cameras with a 'Live View' do (like the 500D for example)?

I assume it does but none of the reviews I've read stated this categorically. What made me wonder was reading this 'Canon EOS DSLR Models Maitrix' from the APT - Astro Photography Tool website.

http://www.ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx

The penultimate column is 'USB Only' and other models I've used (like the 500D) are marked 'Yes' and it is blank for the 700D. I confess that I don't understand what this means exactly despite reading at the top of the page "Column "USB Only" shows that the model can operate only with USB cable, no RS232 shutter cable is needed" and it isn't a difference that seemed to be mentioned anywhere else.

Remote control via USB is important to me as I use my scope with Stellarium and like to shoot to the hard drive. Unfortunately the damp British climate is taking a toll on my poor laptop with nasty stains appearing on the inside of the screen. Because of this I prefer to run a long USB cable from the scope to somewhere a little dryer when possible.

One annoying thing about the 700d is that it doesn't have the movie crop mode that earlier versions did.

This allowed you to use the center part of the sensor - in effect a digital zoom.

You can install magic lantern to enable it. It's very easy.

Hello,

This is a very helpful thread as I am upgrading to a 700D. I'm not quite ready to go for a modded camera yet as I do all kinds of other photography too and will only have the one camera. However, I read the information for both the 600D and the 700D and didn't see much of a difference between them and I finally opted for the 700D because I found it at a better price.

I do have one question that I hope someone here can answer. Does the 700D have the same ability to tether to a computer and be controlled remotely as other Canon cameras with a 'Live View' do (like the 500D for example)?

I assume it does but none of the reviews I've read stated this categorically. What made me wonder was reading this 'Canon EOS DSLR Models Maitrix' from the APT - Astro Photography Tool website.

http://www.ideiki.com/astro/EOS.aspx

The penultimate column is 'USB Only' and other models I've used (like the 500D) are marked 'Yes' and it is blank for the 700D. I confess that I don't understand what this means exactly despite reading at the top of the page "Column "USB Only" shows that the model can operate only with USB cable, no RS232 shutter cable is needed" and it isn't a difference that seemed to be mentioned anywhere else.

Remote control via USB is important to me as I use my scope with Stellarium and like to shoot to the hard drive. Unfortunately the damp British climate is taking a toll on my poor laptop with nasty stains appearing on the inside of the screen. Because of this I prefer to run a long USB cable from the scope to somewhere a little dryer when possible.

Hi Davide,

Sorry for the confusion! 700D doesn't need serial cable and can be operated only with USB cable. The page is updated :)

@Davide, EOS Utilities, delivered with a new 700D allows you to control the camera from Laptop etc.

What a relief! For a while I was a little worried but then I thought that Canon surely wouldn't remove such a useful feature. I discovered tethering using my friend's 500D but my camera at the moment is a 400D and it's almost impossible to get a sharp focus with it when it's mounted on the scope. Also the highest ISO on the 400D is only 1600. I'm now getting very excited about the possibilities the 700D will reveal :)

• 5 months later...

Hi all, quick question for an old post - I'm wondering, does anyone have examples of what quality i could expect, once settings are dialled in, from a canon 700D, using the basic 17-55mm lense, for a landscape night time shot featuring stars?

I have provided an example of the below, although i totally don't expect the same quality, but something near on, maybe with not as many features in the night.  Basically i want an all rounder, but to do night time exposure shots of land scapes, and capturing atleast some stairs, without grain etc.  I would rather get an idea of capability ahead of time, without needing to spend hundreds on extra lenses or other gear.

sample;  This was with a 14mm lense on i think a 6D which i believe has a better sensor, so i dont expect the same quality, but something somewhat comparable, or near the same would be good. Please post any samples, but as noted, preferably just using a basic lense and tripod, as i really dont want to see photos using hundreds of dollars of telescopes etc since they will be out of my range.

http://philhart.smugmug.com/Night-Sky-Photography/Coastal-Lakes-and-Rivers/i-PDXPZbd/A

PS - To the guy that asked about the usb cable, one thingi will be doing is buying a tp link router, and updating the firmware, so i can connect via wifi, as per this site. Thought this might interest some of you, or if you have experience doing this please let me know;

http://www.diyphotography.net/wireless-camera-control-and-liveview-diy-hack-only-30/

one of my first pictures was with the kit lens and of the milky way also, but without surrounding landscape.

it was taken with a fixed mount, just like a tripod would work.

i think you can have very good results with it and it won't cost you anything since you already have(taken that you have it)

post-37532-0-94120700-1431487634_thumb.j

this is 25 x 20s lights

Frank

one of my first pictures was with the kit lens and of the milky way also, but without surrounding landscape.

it was taken with a fixed mount, just like a tripod would work.

i think you can have very good results with it and it won't cost you anything since you already have(taken that you have it)

attachicon.gifmilky6.jpg

this is 25 x 20s lights

Frank

Wait so you did that with a 700d/t5i and stock 18-55, no other special stuff like telescopes or anything, presumably just a tripod?

If yes, then it's pretty much a solid yes for me to buy, that's way above what i was expecting.  When you say 25 x 20 i'm guessing that's some type of image composition or something?

Thanks for replying and any forward reply, appreciate it, i was expecting a lot less of the camera.

Wait so you did that with a 700d/t5i and stock 18-55, no other special stuff like telescopes or anything, presumably just a tripod?

If yes, then it's pretty much a solid yes for me to buy, that's way above what i was expecting.  When you say 25 x 20 i'm guessing that's some type of image composition or something?

Thanks for replying and any forward reply, appreciate it, i was expecting a lot less of the camera.p

yes, it was taken just with the t5i with the stock lens, the 25x 20 seconds lights is the amount of pictures taken(25) and the exposure time of 20 seconds each, all stacked to increase the signal to noise ratio.

you can have a lot of fun with just the camera and the kit lens or some older manual lenses that you can buy very cheap at some photo stores or online.

for the the first tries you'll have some difficulty to focus manually, but you can get the handle with more practice. i'm still very green yet.

welcome to the hobby and to sgl, lots of great people here.

Frank

Archived