NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways guys - yesterday was a huge day, we had the opportunity to pitch our business to four directors of Greene King brewery in the original dragons den studio. It was a euphoric day especially after all four loved our business model and have decided they would like to franchise Maverick's 80's Lounge concept to bar over the country. Now we're just waiting for a meeting with the Directors to come and see what their finalised plans are and whether we accept or not.

I will message you tonight Souoy in regards to coming on friday or not.

Sammy - jsut noticed I have been getting a bounceback on your email address!

anyway - here are the plans.

We're only days away from the WADAS first trip up north to Soupys new house at Kielder.

If you are intending to come, please be aware of the following information.

Things to bring:
Tent + sleeping bag and full camping gear.
Chair
Mug, plates, bowls, cutlery and food and camping stove
WARM CLOTHES + water proofs
Telescopes / binoculars and fully charged power packs if you need them.
Camera, tripods and fully charged battery + spares.
Torches and plenty of fully charged batteries.

There is no mains electric or phone / internet reception at his house, so its pretty much wild camping! You wont be reachable, you cant really charge stuff up and you cant sit about surfing the net. So please bear that in mind.

Plan on getting there and meeting up:
If you are intending to drive up Friday, we'll all be meeting at the Manchester Square in Bellingham between 9 and 9.30pm. Please check your route and travel time to set off to arrive in plenty of time.
From there Soupy will guide us to his house which is a few miles up the road and hidden behind a locked Forestry Commission gate. Please do not be late, as you will not be able to get to soupys house without the gate key and lets be honest - soupy isnt going to stand by the gate all night waiting for you to turn up!
If you are intending to drive up Saturday - same meeting place, but the meeting time will be 3pm.

The plan is to have a BBQ saturday night, so if you have a BBQ or disposable, bring it with you. If everyone can chuck a couple of pounds in the pot for communal burgers etc it would be appreciated. Obviously you can bring your own chilli marinated tiger prawns and curried tofu kebab sticks if you wish!

When we leaving:
Plan is to sleep all morning after a fantastic 12 hour viewing session saturday night......... so we'll be looking at all departing about 2pm Sunday so we can all get home for tea.

Just checked on weather report for the weekend. Friday night could be foggy with a chance of some rain, but there may be patchy clouds on Saturday night so some possibility of stargazing... Keep fingers crossed ;)

I have had a thought (yes, dangerous I know)  but when reading on how to set up my az goto mount (which will it seems track on object once located) it only moves left to right and up and down,

That's with one tripod leg pointing north the other two at the rear,

So, if I was to point two of the legs with north at the centre of them, then lower the back leg so the mount is inclined to whatever degrees it needs to be to sort of polar align, would it not then track like a EQ mount?

Or am I missing something

Have a great time at Keilder, which I was joining you,  cant so bought a new (old) 28mm f.2.8  cost me £8 couldn't resist lens for the dslr, and ordered making every photon count to cheer me up

Leigh

Archived