Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The dreaded mist / fog :/

dtokez

Hi all, last couple of times I have been to my local dark sky area (New forest in Hampshire) the forecast has said clear skies, the met office satellite images have shown no cloud yet it has been foggy / misty / dewey once we get out there :( Is there a better way to predict it?

It has been a long time since my geography days at school - what conditions do low level fog form under, is it mainly at certain times of the year etc? 

Unfortunately, there is little you can do to spot incoming fog since it does not show up on IR satellite images. Some areas are more prone than others, for instance if you live in a river valley - which tends to hold on to the fog for longer too.

it is a shame there are not forecast facilities for use sky watchers, the water sports fans get their own weather forecasting :( 

I guess height above sea level doesn't mean much because fog is just low level cloud right?

Archived