NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Look GSO 200 F5 Reflector ( 14 images )

Hi all.

Pleased to say I have just received my GSO 200 F5 reflector from Teleskope Service in Germany which I ordered around a month ago, though had to wait for new stock to be delivered from the manufacturer. The service and communication from TS was exemplary and I wont hesitate to use them again.  So here is a quick look with some images and a few thoughts. I am no expert on reflectors as I have mostly used refractors in the past but I also own a Mak as well. The need for a big reflector is because I really want to get into the glob busting zone and this looks like an easy and relatively inexpensive way in.

I did this "first look" as there seems to be scant information or reviews about this particular scope so I hope this helps anyone considering getting one of these. Also you will see that the images here differ somewhat to the ones at TS website, nothing major but from what I can see some of these differences feel like enhancements, for example the locking and adjustment screws for the primary mirror. I will follow it up with a first light report next available chance, might be a while then after looking out of the window.....

DSC_9496_zps9f163fb6.jpg

So the box turns up from UPS and it weighs 12KG, already I have an idea on the size of this thing.

DSC_9497_zpsb758ddc7.jpg

Opened up and all the contents are well packed and unmarked. This is a good start!

DSC_9501_zps9d7a575c.jpg

After carefully unpacking the OTA from the plastic bag I take a good look at the top end. The focusser and finderscope fittings are all looking flush and fitted properly, all the screws are threaded correctly and and the whole things feels pretty solid. The top protection cap slots neatly into the aperture and does not fall out so easily. I believe these scopes can be branded in different ways, but in this case there is no doubt that this is Guan Sheng Optical!

DSC_9522_zpsb4ab2709.jpg

A closer inspection of the focusser reveals no nasty surprises. The movement and travel feels smooth and precise and the adjustment screws work just fine. All in all the focusser feels very robust and of sound quality, seen here fully retracted. In these photos like the one above sometimes the streak of light is reflecting onto the black surface, so not an actual line in case someone did wonder.

DSC_9518_zps7573b7a0.jpg

This image shows a better view of the finderscope bracket, once again it is fitted correctly with the knurled screw smooth to use and thread.

DSC_9519_zps55938bf1.jpg

Down at the bottom we get a view of the primary mirror and its fittings. 3 white knobs to loosen the mirror  and 3 black ones for adjusting the collimation. The built in cooling fan and cage are absolutely rock solid on their fittings so no worries here. The cabling is neat and tidy without anything being on show that shouldn't be. In use the fan is whisper quiet but actually does push a decent flow of air. At the middle bottom you can just about see the electrical input to power the fan, sorry its blurred that is the DOF kicking in with these close in shots.

DSC_9528_zps9a89f064.jpg

Back to the top and a view of the tube opening where the secondary is located. Once again everything here is well made, tight and sturdy. All the screws are threaded properly and I can now check the mirrors are spotless. Indeed they are. Both the 200mm primary and the 63mm secondary. Out of the box though the collimation was slightly out and it did need some adjustment. This was fine as it gave me a chance to ensure all the adjustment screws were operating as they should. I have not collimated a telescope before as there is not much requirement for this in refractor land, however after popping the laser into the focusser this newt was collimated in less than 7 minutes and left me thinking had I missed something out? So after a caffeine break I went back and checked again. It really was collimated!

DSC_9517_zps1f79bcd5.jpg

A closer look now at the rest of the parts. The rings are well made and look built to last a lifetime. They are felted on the inside track and have quite big decent adjusters. On the scope even when loosened right off they still feel grippy and the scope does not move so easily.

DSC_9516_zps1f2276ac.jpg

Closer inspection of the ring tightener knob, even the fattest fingers should have no problem with these! They are plastic and I think I might have preffered metal ones but having said that they do not feel cheap and nasty.

DSC_9510_zps34785556.jpg

This is the supplied power pack for the cooling fan. It requires 8 AA batteries. The cable is 1.5 metres long. The pack is no frills but functional. No on/off switch so its just a case of plugging in and unplugging to operate. I have not tried rechargeables in this so cannot comment on whether they work.

DSC_9511_zpsa80d9c2e.jpg

The 8 x50 finderscope with holder and O ring, the extension tube, and the dovetail. All fairly standard kit. The finderscope has a knurled ring and moveable top ring to adjust focus. Pretty much if not the same as the SW ones. The finderscope and bracket weigh 540g combined.

DSC_9513_zps7679d89d.jpg

A closer view of the finderscope and extension tube.

DSC_9534_zps556c7a83.jpg

For an impression of size this shot shows the steel OTA next to the leg of a HEQ5 and a BST 25mm EP. The OTA is 92cm long end of tube to top cap and 24cm wide. With dovetail, rings and finderscope fitted it weighs 9.9 KG Although it cant be seen here just to mention the seam where the OTA is joined is nothing short of perfect.

DSC_9526_zpscacd2794.jpg

Finally an image of  the OTA on my HEQ5, this was before fine tuning the balance and adding the other weight.

In conclusion then a very well made telescope with a quality feel about it. Nothing really feels like any corners have been cut, sure the focusser is not in Moonlight territory but this is a 300 EUR scope. All the fittings go well together, the steel OTA join is barely noticeable and the paint work and finish has a reassuring feel to it. I have to hope it performs as good as it looks and feels and I guess that will be the real test.  Very much looking forward to getting this out to the dark site.

Cheers

John

Nice scope- I like the build quality of these GSO 'budget' scopes, you should be happy with it.

My first suggestion though is throw away the white collimation 'locking screws' and do the 'six spring mirror mod'.

Thanks, do you have any links to the screws you mention?

Thanks, do you have any links to the screws you mention?

Link to the mirror cell mod

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188976-8-f4-newtonian-mirror-cell-mods/?hl=%2Bsix+%2Bspring

It would be fairly easy to install the stronger springs (plus additional three) without invalidating your warranty. Installing the no-slip cone engagement screws involves drilling a slight countersink in the mirror cell so probably would affect the warranty? 

Depends how well you the scope to hold collimation....

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

sorry for the hijack! I'm really interested to get one of these. Upgrading from a 130P (primarily for imaging), was originally thinking of the Skywatcher 150PDS, then the 200PDS and now this...

Originally I had anticipated the 8" GSO RC (carbon) but that may just be too advanced for me at this stage, figured this might be better for the intermediate time until I'm getting good results.

I would be interested in opinions / experiences on the following:

1. Back-focus. I understand it's the same as the SW PDS range in terms of focus sufficient for DSLRs etc, including coma correctors (in the tube), can anyone confirm?

2. Partly depending on 1. above, if focus may be marginal they offer an upgrade to this focuser (which looks nice) http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p6522_Orion-UK-ACU-2--Focuser-with-1-10-Micro-Transmission.html - any opinions on it and the benefits for achieving focus and for any other reasons? It's much cheaper to order with the upgrade, so trying to decide now if that is money well spent.

3. Weight of this on HEQ5 pro for imaging, I know it's close and the lighter the better but it should just about be ok (I'd add my ST80 guider setup on it, but could go to a lighter finder-guider if the weight is just over what will work well on that mount). I'm happy to experiment so long as this isn't a non-starter of a setup for imaging.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, don't want to order something unsuitable for what I want it to do (regardless of it being a great tube for the money, which it appears to be!).

I had a Baader steeltrack focuser on my MN190 which seems to be pretty much the same as the one you want to upgrade to.

The focuser is well made, but i will not buy another Steeltrack again because i had to adjust it all the time because of temperature differences. it's also a pain to adjust with 3 screws that needs to be adjusted perfectly.

Another choice of upgrade is the GSO monorail focuser, it's like the original one, but uses a rail instead of crayford and is much more stable. http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3700_M-LRN-MONORAIL-2--Newton-Auszug---haelt-bis-3kg---1-10-Mikro-Untersetzung.html

Does look nice doesn't it.

What I've learnt since posting last:

The back-focus should be the same as the SW PDS range - so that should be fine for my DSLR as the PDS range is tried and tested.

What I've concluded:

I'd probably be happy with the standard focuser, it's slightly better than the standard SW PDS one and I'd probably have been happy with that also, at least initially.

What I still don't know:

What it would be like for guided imaging and long subs (on an HEQ5 pro) - I guess this is a much harder thing to quantify and since nearly everyone recommends an ED80 refractor for imaging, I don't know if ultimately I'm looking at the wrong thing for the job.

One thing is for sure, while I may upgrade to an NEQ6 sometime, I want to get some experience with the mount I have first, otherwise I could be putting £ after £ into something where I don't really know where I'm heading.

Oh and one other thing, it's ALWAYS cloudy here OR the full Moon is out (or both)!!!

Hopefully Louis between the thread and PMs you have a clearer insight about what you might want to buy. It is difficult, actually near impossible to find a scope set up that does all you want which is why many here end up with more than one scope or mount.

Since I had the GSO It has seen first light but on patchy cloudy nights and moon bathed clear evenings so in fairness it has not been subjected to a proper real test as such but I can say that observing the moon through it was pretty amazing, M45 looked superb and also got M15 and M13 a few nights ago which were fairly respectable considering the Moon light. So from a viewing level it ticks the boxes and appears to be on an equal with the SW version. You will need the extension tube for visual as I found out to my cost when I left it at home and saw nothing that evening but embarrassment! I had replaced the EP adapter with a self centering one from Altair Astro that for whatever reason provided me with a more accurate collimation.

I think the AP guys here can advise you better than me but the adapter is suppled for you 1.25 EPs, I think you just need a T ring to connect and M48 ( Nikon ) to make the connection, but Canon should be similar or same.  TE told me back focus is not an issue.

As for the photos, well the Nikon D300 may be getting on a bit but I reckon it will be in service for quite a while yet :grin:

Finally, yes clouds and moon will never be far away!!

Hi John, yes it's definitely given me a clearer picture of things, you've been really helpful, thank you for all the details.

I'm still 50/50, it's this or the similar but smaller 150mm version, or a frac (ED80 - ish) - I think my main interest is towards DSOs, I might well go for this bigger 200 OTA for closer images of DSOs and see how I get on. With guiding it's going to be close to the limit on my HEQ5 pro mount, but hey-ho, I think it will be a real big step up visually (and yes I'm still bound to use it visually) and for imaging, it might end up with me upgrading to an NEQ6, but now I have the HEQ5 the upgrade doesn't seem to big a step.

Got to get something, can't live without the coma corrector and better focuser for much longer...

I've been speaking with the guys at teleskop express about the best coma corrector that will work with the GSO 200 and yet still enable sufficient back-focus for DSLRs. Looks like the TS-Optics one is good quality http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3822_TS-2--Newton-Koma-Korrektor---fuer-Teleskope-ab-f-4---0-95fach.html 

but they are checking regarding the back-focus this will provide, given it's a slightly reducing x 0.95

do keep up posted on your experiences when you take it out again, I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on with it...

Thanks again for the help. I'll post back when I get this (or to say what I got instead) 

• 1 year later...

Hi John, yes it's definitely given me a clearer picture of things, you've been really helpful, thank you for all the details.

I'm still 50/50, it's this or the similar but smaller 150mm version, or a frac (ED80 - ish) - I think my main interest is towards DSOs, I might well go for this bigger 200 OTA for closer images of DSOs and see how I get on. With guiding it's going to be close to the limit on my HEQ5 pro mount, but hey-ho, I think it will be a real big step up visually (and yes I'm still bound to use it visually) and for imaging, it might end up with me upgrading to an NEQ6, but now I have the HEQ5 the upgrade doesn't seem to big a step.

Got to get something, can't live without the coma corrector and better focuser for much longer...

I've been speaking with the guys at teleskop express about the best coma corrector that will work with the GSO 200 and yet still enable sufficient back-focus for DSLRs. Looks like the TS-Optics one is good quality http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p3822_TS-2--Newton-Koma-Korrektor---fuer-Teleskope-ab-f-4---0-95fach.html

but they are checking regarding the back-focus this will provide, given it's a slightly reducing x 0.95

do keep up posted on your experiences when you take it out again, I for one would be very interested to hear how you get on with it...

Thanks again for the help. I'll post back when I get this (or to say what I got instead)

Hi Louis,

Sorry for trying to resurrect such an old thread, just that it happens to be that you have asked exactly the questions I would like to know myself! I have just been bought (by my awesome gf!) a GSO 200 and although I am right at the start of all this, would one day like to try some astrophotography with it, and I'm worried as I didn't go for the f/4 imaging version.

Would like to use DSLR and also have an HEQ5 mount.

Did you ever end up getting the scope? What were your experiences with regards to astrophotography with it and the HEQ5? Any back-focus issues with the coma corr.?

If you did get it, how was tracking? Long exposures etc.?

...assuming you are still on this forum today?!

Thanks.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Archived