Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Absolute AV Beginner Help

hadyn42

Sorry think the pd1 is our ref to first cam on page...its pd colour..one with the blue stripe...I believe the full kit is camera. Nosecone.power supply (mains)..bnc connector. .rca cable and a usb video grabber. ...think one of the other guys went for full kit.....I already had all the kit so just bought camera....Davy

Ahhh, ok, thanks davy.

Yes, after having a read on the PD website, with 20 seconds Integration they do seem to be better than a Sammy 2000 .

I hope the quality of image is good too.

The Sammy 2000 is good super-budget camera though, but for that bit extra for the PD the 20 seconds will be excellent.

Whichever camera people end up with, it's good that they are doing VA   :laugh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken..had a look at your gallery. ...your nebulae captures are brilliant

..when I saw snake valley I had to check the web...it was Steve wainwright site I had previously saw and thought it was you.....thought oh oh in the company of a legend here...one of first guys I came across using the Sammy on the web..hope you take as a compliment....your images are fantastic and an your insight in va will be an asset on sgl...Davy

Hello All

Thank you all for your help and recommendations. As mentioned earlier, I have now made a purchase and hope to have the kit here by the weekend, so it will be a case of opening the cardboard boxes and getting familiar with its contents.

I was wondering is there anyway to alter the video settings on the  PD kit on my laptop screen at all? If so,  what would I need to buy or build guys? I noticed on the forum that I could possibly attach my canon eos lenses onto the PD camera. I have 55mm to 75mm and a  75mm to 300mm lens. Any ideas please to what  adapter or attachment I would need?

Kindest regards, Hadyn - Isle of Man

Have fun with your camera!

Didn't someone mention a pd version with external cable control panel?

As for the adapter, c(s) mount to ef (in case of a canon), but c lenses to ef mount seems more commonly available (to attach film lenses to the DSLR).

http://m.ebay.de/itm/250744774055?cmd=VIDESC

I am on my android phone atm, I can perhaps look for the right thing for a better price tomorrow, but perhaps someone knows a uk source allready. I suppose Phil probably sells adapters too according to the website.

Astrophoto.co.uk only has adapters for two  other camera brands;

http://astrophoto.co.uk/adapters.htm#first

Just contact Phil;

http://www.ebay.de/itm/250744774055  is pretty expensive :-/

I found it in Hong Kong via ebay;

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Canon-EOS-EF-S-EF-Mount-Lens-to-C-mount-16mm-Film-Mount-Adapter-/150779932044?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item231b2f2d8c

As it's under 22€ in (most) europe countries it's tax/custom/duty free.

As the other one is from the US it will take longer too and as it is more expensive it will be taxed, so thanks to ebay buyers protection the cheaper one would be the way to go...

And it's still easier and cheaper  to buy and fit something like C-to-t2 t2-to-ef ...

It's pretty difficult to find the right adapter on ebay or via Google, as there are so many C-Lens to Canon/EF;

Have fun with your camera!

Didn't someone mention a pd version with external cable control panel?

As for the adapter, c(s) mount to ef (in case of a canon), but c lenses to ef mount seems more commonly available (to attach film lenses to the DSLR).

http://m.ebay.de/itm/250744774055?cmd=VIDESC

I am on my android phone atm, I can perhaps look for the right thing for a better price tomorrow, but perhaps someone knows a uk source allready. I suppose Phil probably sells adapters too according to the website.

Heres a link to one but they are certainly not cheap :eek:

http://www.365astronomy.com/cmount-canon-eos-p-584.html?zenid=171e9842988a2109d0d49871069ddbdd

Cheers Carl

Ken..had a look at your gallery. ...your nebulae captures are brilliant

..when I saw snake valley I had to check the web...it was Steve wainwright site I had previously saw and thought it was you.....thought oh oh in the company of a legend here...one of first guys I came across using the Sammy on the web..hope you take as a compliment....your images are fantastic and an your insight in va will be an asset on sgl...Davy

Thanks Davy, you'll give me  big head  :grin:

I've never heard of Steve Wainwright, so I Googled him. He appears to be somewhere in the UK.

Hello again Guys...

Thank you all for your help so far..

I have a windows 7 based laptop with usb2 ports. I was wondering can I hook up a usb portable hard drive to capture video on it. I will have my video grabber usb dongle plugged into laptop, but what I am wanting to know is, will the captured video from my PD camera to laptop usb dongle transfer the video to the portable hard drive. I know it sounds a bit funny, this question is from a chap who hasn't got his camera as yet and a not too good grasp of computers...

Kind regards, Hadyn - Isle of Man

Congratulations on your PD 1 purchase - hopefully Phil will have include a quick set up instruction sheet. - If not ask him to email you one - it is very helpful.

I bought the one with the remote control key pad as I am setting up a simple remote control system - this camera kit is NOT on his website but is essentially the same as the non remote PD1. (approx. £30 more)

Because of the recent cloudy nights I have been trying the PD1 on my scopes using the lights from a distant transmitter mast (Emley Moor) and I am enjoying the learning process - I hope you will as well.

This branch of astronomy does appear to be a bit of a niche interest but the band of intrepid VA observers is beginning to grow!!

Too bad he does not advertise it, that would have been neat.

I couldn't agree more - I think he is planning to tho' - but I hope by discussing it on SGL others will start to enquire about  the remote camera and this may help produce some info on his website.

I must say that I have found Phil very helpful and he exchanged my mildly faulty camera (nothing Phil could have known about)  by return post!!  -  in my experience an excellent service.

Hi Nibor

Thanks for the info. Are you saying I can purchase a remote control pad from PD for my PD1 camera, or did you buy it somewhere else? Please send me a link to the site if possible?

Thank you Davy

I was worried about using up all my laptop hard drive storage, as I have only about 120 gig free at the moment. I was asking about a remote control pad for the PD1 and where I can purchase one too?

Thanks again, best regards, Hadyn - IOM

Hi Nibor

Thanks for the info. Are you saying I can purchase a remote control pad from PD for my PD1 camera, or did you buy it somewhere else? Please send me a link to the site if possible?

Hayden,

My camera has a bigger case but I believe most of the innards are as per the PD1 - but there is an output port  for the key pad connections -  see the attached file which shows the remote camera's back. The keypad came with the full kit.

Hope this helps.

MANUAL PD Colour Camera Remote S.pdf

Hello Guys

Davy, I have the PD1 without the 5 connections on the back (rs485). Only managed to view during daylight hours as we have had Rubbish weather since I bought the PD!. Thinking of selling it and then we could have the clear skies back me thinks!!!

By the way I have bought the Watec 902H  from the bay from the chap in Israel, but don't expect it to be here foe at least 10 days as yet. Is there any info on what lens I should try and get to some meteor videoing done at all? I have downloaded yawcam, sharpcap to name a few software capture programs. I have tried the PD! on cyberlink powerdirect and yawcam. I have setup the camera up on my ED80, with 80mm extension tube and a .5x focal reducer and managed to get my setup focused on some building about 1 mile away. I have only got about 6mm of inward focus left on my ED80. Does it make any difference where I put the .5x  For example the reducer nearer the ccd chip or actual lens that I am using? I didn't have time to try both the options, I just screwed in the c mount into the camera and added the lens on afterwards, sorry if that sounds a silly question?

I hope that I not getting blamed for cloudy skies!!! By the way is anyone of you guys hoping to go to SGL9 at Lucksall this year?

Best regards, Hadyn - Isle of Man

Archived