NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M20 - Trifid and M21 - Open Cluster

StuartJPP

Old data from holiday in Fuerteventura in May this year, but a totally fresh rework. I wanted a bit wider field to get M21 in as well (not that I am a huge fan of open clusters mind you).

Modified Canon 1100D with Canon 500mm f/4 L IS lens @ ISO1600.
AstroTrac TT320X Mount.
55x 60 second lights

If I get the opportunity again, I will aim for longer subs to try and get blue nebulosity around the whole of M20, this one just has too little data.

9783031921_b2fc0392e5_b.jpg
M20 - Trifid Nebula With M21 by StuartJPP, on Flickr

You have done well there Stuart.Astrotrac as well.

Fay

Thanks Fay.

thats a very impressive image Stuart.

Whats the max sub length with the 500mm on the astrotrac before you have issues with trailing ?

The most I have got is 120 seconds, though that is pushing it and not all subs are usable. I usually aim for 90 seconds which I can get fairly easily however it depends on where the object is in the sky. Zenith is a lot easier than on the horizon for instance, though framing is much more difficult. To be honest a 400mm f/5.6 L would be the best compromise, but I like the focal length of the 500mm, the faster optics and the fact that I already own it for birding.

Caught this on Flickr earlier :)

You certainly seem to have nailed theat setup Stewart... cracking results... I know you have put a lot of work optimising the setup and it's paid dividends...

I think it will be a while before I can work up to 500mm+ fl's

Kelling will hopefully be the first real outing for my kit...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk 4

Archived