Garden pier height

jambouk

I have heard of people using old dentists' chairs hydraulic mechanism to lift scopes up & down

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Siemens-Dentist-Chair-/200963046770?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Medical_Equipment_Instruments_ET&hash=item2eca54bd72

But I guess any sturdy hydraulic ram would do?

That's a cunning plan :smile: - guess it depends if there's much play in the mechanism but maybe that could be engineered out?

Variable height columns have been discussed before and one potential source was this company: http://www.linak.co.uk/products/Lifting-Columns.aspx  No idea as to the cost of these things.

Another option is the USA company Pier-Tech, who manufacture fixed and variable height piers but they aint cheap: http://www.pier-tech.com/pier-tech2_telescope_pier.htm

The hydraulic idea is a good one, i've never have thought of that. I need to look at costs.

I also like the idea of the platform for when the newt is on the pier, but having a three foot step up at night might result in a few trips and swearing... Roll on lottery win then i can have a large obsy with two piers :)

Looks good. Just $2500, but not sure how weather proof it would be if it wasn't in an observatory. Seems pretty sturdy though and they guarentee it doesn't lose polar alignment when elevating or lowering the pier; impressive.Not sure how muhc P&P would be to the UK and how much customs would charge.

Maybe there is a UK outlet.

It's all pie in the sky at the moment really, just gathering information.

James

NG11 8AA

Looks good. Just $2500, but not sure how weather proof it would be if it wasn't in an observatory. Seems pretty sturdy though and they guarentee it doesn't lose polar alignment when elevating or lowering the pier; impressive.Not sure how muhc P&P would be to the UK and how much customs would charge.

Maybe there is a UK outlet.

It's all pie in the sky at the moment really, just gathering information.

I'm not aware of a UK dealer for Pier-Tech.  As a finger in the air estimate, by the time you've got it shipped and added duties, tax etc. etc., a 1£=1$ conversion rate might not be far off. :ohmy:

I had my mount at its lowest the other night for the newt and i still needed a step ladder to look into it for some things, and for the mak i have the mount at full height, so the "small step" would probably be three feet high! Lol. And i don't fancy trying to mount the newt with the pier that high, it would cripple my back even more!

I'm convinced the hydraulic pier would be stable enough for my needs. Just depends on cost and how viable it would be to leave it exposed in the garden.

But keep the ideas coming in.

James

Archived