NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star map markers

Moonshane

Sometimes I found that after an observing session I had been concentrating on say one constellation and noted down all I'd seen but happened to miss say a new Messier object which was close by the main area of observation for the night. This was very frustrating.

I tried to think of a way to avoid this in the future and have started using little arrow pointers (a version of a posi-it note). Today, my wife (probably sick of little triangles all over the house when I made a few more) broguht home an excellent pack of little post its including more arrows than I can ever use. These were for sale at £1.99 in 'The Works' discount stationery / book store.

I have refined my system with red indicating something I have never seen (generally Messiers - these generally stay in the book until seen), pink to represents on an observing session something I have tried for and failed and green have seen on the session. This allows easy record keeping after the event and works well. Obviously make notes about the object description too in you can.

Here's a pic showing what I mean:

post-5119-0-19045200-1379274618_thumb.jp

Good simple solution, I added extra blank pages to the back of my printed star charts to record my sessions but needless to say I forget to fill out what I've seen, a few of these pre stuck onto the pages I want to use will act as a reminder :)

I use a similar idea in that I mark my maps with china graph pencils. I draw star hops, intended targets etc straight onto the map itself. I can then cross them out as I observe them.

The beauty of a laminated atlas is after I've finished I can wipe the atlas clean with a wet sponge. :)

Some great ideas here and thank you for sharing them. I'll have to see if they sell triangle posists here (I doubt it) or get around to laminating one of the star atlases. I usually scribble something down in a little notebook but find the ideas in this thread a lot tidier and perhaps more practical when out in the field.

Those post-it arrows (50p from Morrissons) are also useful for marking the positions of planets in your atlas.  Just look it up on Stellarium for the night you are planning to go out.  Especially useful if you want to have a look at Neptune or Uranus.  Same applies if you fancy a bit of comet hunting.

Nice idea Shane, I will look out for some of these, may take out some of the frustration, when fiddling with a frosted over magnifying glass.

I must say though, that when I first glanced at your picture it reminded me of this.

post-22819-0-74942800-1379968519.jpg

I have just purchased some of these and they are fantastic. I am in denial a little bit anyhow concerning my eyesight, compounded with circumstances in which you are trying to scrutinise small detail on a star chart under a dim red light. So IM not sure how I manage to get on, but it will be much easier from now on. I like the fact that you can colour code the type of target.

Anyhow, if you cannot get to The Works, then for a bit more cost, WH.Smith currently have these on sale Post-it packs to incldude 100 index arrows and index page markers for £2.95.

Archived