Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another 100 degree eyepiece option ?

John

I've just spotted this from Altair Astro:

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16683

It looks very, very similar to the Meade 5000 Xtreme 100 degree EP's:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Meade-Xtreme-Wide-Angle-XWA-9mm-2--Eyepiece-100-deg-AFOV.html

My understanding is that the Meade Xtremes, and I guess the Altair Lightwaves, are optically the same as the Explore Scientific 100 degree series.

I think the ES, for about £400, is prettier but if the optics truly are the same, the AA is a good price for 100° aFOV.

Yes, thats what I thought. Skies the Limit do 9mm and 16mm 100 degree EP's for £199 but they are nothing to shout about from reviews of them that I've read elsewhere.

Whether £339 is low enough to dissuade folks from importing the ES100's from the USA remains to be seen.

maybe the altair..but that meade's way overpriced..and for another £30 a 21 ethos is yours?,hmmm

Agreed but nobody (with any sense) buys ES and Meade 100 degree eyepieces at those prices - they import them from the USA at £200 or so less.

Prior to the recent TV price drop the Ethos was over £700 so there was more of a gap back then.

John,

Yes you are correct the 21mm E was 720 as I remember but Telescope House always offered me 10% discount. I believe anyone who is on the mailing list was offered the same, I don't see why I should be special.

Back to your original post, for sure they are the same as the Meades with that trackor tyre look about them, I don't think they look so bad in red.

Alan.

Well that's another choice for everyone to have, I wonder how they perform :smiley:

If the ES 20mm / 100 is any guide, they could be very good. I don't notice any obvious drop in the quality of the image when I switch from my 13mm Ethos to the ED 20 / 1000. 

I guess we ought to reserve judgement until someone has actually used one of these Altair 100 degree EP's in a fast scope though. They might have cut a corner or two off the spec to hit the price point and that can affect performance too.

Archived